Re: [announcement] SYSAPI and SYSSVC for Windows

From: Ekkehard Morgenstern (ekkehard.morgenstern_at_onlinehome.de)
Date: 12/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:00:59 +0100

"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:
> I have used async I/O under Win95/98 3-4 years back from now. That was
> serial port I/O. It worked that time. Maybe it will not, just because MS
> claims that it will. (:-))

In the meantime (as stated in another post in this thread), I found the
explanation in the ReadFileEx() API documentation:

On Windows 95/98/ME, asynchronous I/O works only with serial and TCP/IP
communication ports. Asynchronous I/O with disk files is permitted only
on Windows NT/2000/XP.

The other post of mine links to an updated version of my library which
emulates asynchronous file I/O with synchronous I/O for Win95/98/ME to
spare the programmer using the feature from getting an I/O error on these
platforms.

Asynchronous I/O is fun! :)

It's also a useful feature on UNIXes, like AIX and Solaris, and since
a couple of years, also available on GNU/Linux and the like. :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Standard Ada Preprocessor
    ... > Some platforms for instance support asynchronous I/O. ... Truly high-performance applications are by definition, ... even the binarys can run on most targets unmodified.) ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: is there enough information?
    ... Twisted-style asynchronous callback system mixing ... the Windows asynchronous I/O isn't needed... ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: sockaddr_in() timeout or asynchone call ?
    ... the sockaddr_infreeze the script if the remote host is ... asynchroneous (don't taliking about waiting of the response since in the ... The choice to prevent a program blocking on I/O usually involves either ... non-blocking I/O or asynchronous I/O (e.g, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Asynchronous I/O development in CE
    ... I have a serial communication application ... overlapped I/O and it is necessary to have that functionality. ... What changes I should make to the application to support overlapped I/O. ... we are communicating with the CE hand held does require asynchronous I/O ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Whats DMA
    ... DMA is completely unrelated to the concept of asynchronous I/O. ... it is only availvable if your hardware supports it. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)