Re: [announcement] SYSAPI and SYSSVC for Windows

From: Ekkehard Morgenstern (ekkehard.morgenstern_at_onlinehome.de)
Date: 12/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:00:59 +0100

"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:
> I have used async I/O under Win95/98 3-4 years back from now. That was
> serial port I/O. It worked that time. Maybe it will not, just because MS
> claims that it will. (:-))

In the meantime (as stated in another post in this thread), I found the
explanation in the ReadFileEx() API documentation:

On Windows 95/98/ME, asynchronous I/O works only with serial and TCP/IP
communication ports. Asynchronous I/O with disk files is permitted only
on Windows NT/2000/XP.

The other post of mine links to an updated version of my library which
emulates asynchronous file I/O with synchronous I/O for Win95/98/ME to
spare the programmer using the feature from getting an I/O error on these
platforms.

Asynchronous I/O is fun! :)

It's also a useful feature on UNIXes, like AIX and Solaris, and since
a couple of years, also available on GNU/Linux and the like. :)