Re: Private area and child packages

tmoran_at_acm.org
Date: 12/30/04

    Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:51:05 -0600

    >What I was wondering was how someone writing Some_Package can enforce
    >this on future package writers. I could obviously follow your
    >suggestion if I am the only developer writing code for a project. But,
    >if I want to hide implementation details from someone else who might
    >write a child package, I would need some mechanism to enforce this
    >information hiding.
       You could burn the only copy of the source code. Seriously, how
    else could you enforce such a restriction on future developers who
    want to fiddle with/fix your code? Even if the compiler would
    allow such a limit (say by disallowing child packages) what would
    prevent someone from simply modifying your code, say by moving the
    "hidden" declaration from the private to the public part of the spec?
    Or, if they can't modify your code, but can find a copy of the source
    somewhere, they could declare their own structure to match yours, and
    use an address clause to overlay their (visible) structure over yours.
      Part of the Ada Style is a certain humility. Assuming that your
    code and your design is so perfect that any change by anyone in the
    future is bad, is unwise, as shown by much sad experience. IMHO

    • Re: Cant understand this
      ... I'm going to study your package - but I decided to examine that ... my novice package is designed to provide data structures and ... other low-level support code to the novice so he can begin writing ... applications, rather than be required to first implement these data ...
      (comp.lang.forth)
    • Smalltalk-like Tools
      ... I'm a fairly experienced programmer, ... When you select one, the window ... next to it shows the list of classes that belong to that package. ... When I started writing this, that seemed like a horribly complicated ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • XML support in Java 5?
      ... The javax.xml and javax.xml.stream packages have some classes that look very useful for writing and reading XML. ... The few things that are documented as being in Java 5, I don't see how they are useful for actually writing XML. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: Find which package has installed some file under /etc
      ... Anyway, if you feel strong to enforce this ipart of policy, most ... effective thing to do is file a wishlist bug with patch to lintian to ... AFAIK init.d scripts always belong to a package, ... Presumably the local admin being a human can deal with the problem. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: XMLPropWorks
      ... It's been a month since I let a dozen people or so beta test it. ... In the past I had written various VB routines for managing my custom ... major functionality that I wanted which wasn't in the package. ... or writing to the database. ...
      (comp.cad.solidworks)