Re: ada & gui

Martin Dowie wrote:

> This seems like a fairly common problem - GtkAda does have a certain
> 'look' on windows that isn't as clean as Claw but Claw is
> Windows-only.

I have heard rumours that there are themes for GtkAda which makes it look
more like ordinary Microsoft applications.

> I have toyed with creating an abstract 'GUI' library (see below) so
> you could choose between GUI-implementations at compile time.

That would definitely be nice. But wasn't that the idea with GtkAda?
(or at least with Gtk+?)

> Any thoughts pros/cons to this sort of framework?

A framework which can make both platform-specific and cross-platform
look-and-feel GUIs is definitely on my wishlist. I have considered
porting Claw (as a framework) to some X GUI APIs (with GtkAda at the
top of the list).

Jacob
--
"Very small. Go to sleep" -- monster (not drooling)

  • Re: OT: GUI [was:]Ann: TeXCAD 4.1
    ... Windows and Mac OS (if there are anybody out there using Mac OS ... Then you can see how it works on Windows. ... The only GtkAda app I've tried porting to Windows came to a crunching halt ... I once started a 'toy' signature package (based on Claw more than GWindows ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Compiler business prospects
    ... standalone GUI applications but the main choices QtAda and GtkAda are ... simply out of question for a hobby shareware developer like me. ... You could buy Janus/Ada Personal edition with Claw from ... Janus/Ada and CLAW and those who have most likely are not interested ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Compiler business prospects
    ... standalone GUI applications but the main choices QtAda and GtkAda are ... simply out of question for a hobby shareware developer like me. ... You could buy Janus/Ada Personal edition with Claw from ... Janus/Ada and CLAW and those who have most likely are not interested ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: GUI was Re: why Ada is so unpopular ?
    ... > technology like GtkAda or better yet CLAW to create the simplest version of ... > Scalable Vector Graphics or a thick binding to an existing version, ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: OT: GUI
    ... > But would that be any better than GtkAda? ... Just another non-native GUI ... Claw is atleast native on Win32 platforms - is Gtknative on ... I don't mean to be rude, ...
    (comp.lang.ada)