Re: Ada exception block does NOT work?

"Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Robert A Duff wrote:
>
> > It is unfortunate that different programming languages use different
> > terminology for what is essentially the same concept. "Raise" and
> > "handle" mean essentially the same thing as "throw" and "catch".
> > There are important differences in syntax and semantics among different
> > languages, but terminology differences just get in the way of
> > understanding the "real" differences. And the differences between C++
> > and Java are just as important as the differences between C++ and Ada,
> > even though C++ and Java use more-similar terminology.
>
> The point is that Ada was there first, so Ada terminology must be the
> "Right" terminology.

Ada was certainly not the first language with exceptions.
Does anybody know which one was? And were they called "exceptions"
and were they "raised" and "handled"?

I believe Symbolics Lisp predates Ada. True? And I believe it had
exceptions, which were called "conditions". (Symbolics Lisp was
the predecessor of Common Lisp.)

Anyway, terminology of programming language concepts is such a mess that
it's hard to say what the "right" terminology is. Too bad.

Besides, there's an element of "pot calling kettle black" here.
Ada misuses quite a few terms. For example, pointers should be called
"pointers" or "references", not "accesses". And it's an abomination to
use the term "integer" for a meager subset of the integers. I believe
the term "integer" to refer to the infinite set predates Ada somewhat.
;-)

- Bob

  • Re: What is an object?
    ... >> while a constant object is not. ... > modifiability. ... I've not taught a course on principles of programming languages for ... I'm not saying that I prefer that terminology, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Efficiency of code generated by Ada compilers
    ... about as far removed from the Ada philosophy as it is possible to get. ... I'm not so sure on *design* - the goals were largely to achieve expressive ... I think the history of programming languages supports my ... Compilers have advanced enormously, and machines can run them fast ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Seeking for papers about tagged types vs access to subprograms
    ... had to be fixed in Ada for us to consider any major change to the ... solve when starting as one of the Ada 9x User-Implementer teams was how to ... I'm not a politician either, and I'd rather avoid those sorts of games, but ... That would mitigate the terminology problem because you would have to ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Dynamic array allocation and STL equivalents?
    ... >> of programming languages, including LISP and Forth. ... Barnes has also written books about Ada 95. ... And why should students have to deal with static-sized strings? ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: ADA Popularity Discussion Request
    ... First, yes, I am the author of Ada Distilled. ... Syntax, in programming languages, seems to be a personal ... Java, and certainly easier to learn to do well than C++. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)