Re: pointer questions

Martin Dowie wrote:
Robert A Duff wrote:

Maybe the kinds of programs I write are different.  Question for those
who rarely use access types: what sort of application areas are you
talking about?  Mine are usually software development tools -- such as
compilers.

Embedded defence apps and I can't remember the last time I needed an access type!

There's no need in this sort of app, as you know at compile time what the maximum number of anything your system is required to deal with, so you can always use a lookup table of some sort (even if it has an 'In_Use : Boolean' field/discriminant.

Now that is exactly the domain where I would expect to not see access types, for the reasons you cite (as well as related reasons having to do with predictability and the consequences of errors.)

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath in Ada - XML EZ Out