Re: pointer questions

Martin Dowie wrote:
Robert A Duff wrote:

Maybe the kinds of programs I write are different.  Question for those
who rarely use access types: what sort of application areas are you
talking about?  Mine are usually software development tools -- such as
compilers.

Embedded defence apps and I can't remember the last time I needed an access type!

There's no need in this sort of app, as you know at compile time what the maximum number of anything your system is required to deal with, so you can always use a lookup table of some sort (even if it has an 'In_Use : Boolean' field/discriminant.

Now that is exactly the domain where I would expect to not see access types, for the reasons you cite (as well as related reasons having to do with predictability and the consequences of errors.)

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath in Ada - XML EZ Out

  • Re: pointer questions
    ... There's no need in this sort of app, as you know at compile time what the maximum number of anything your system is required to deal with, so you can always use a lookup table of some sort (even if it has an 'In_Use: ... Now that is exactly the domain where I would expect to not see access types, for the reasons you cite (as well as related reasons having to do with predictability and the consequences of errors.) ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Tcl_GetIndexFromObjStruct and Comconnosance
    ... for GIF and PNG files, but the current photo command procedure cannot directly accomodate an extension of that kind --and the current GIF code can be improved, and I just plain don't like TkPNG. ... that sort of thing in Tk for now. ... I am curious as to how well-implemented local blocs are in existing C compilers. ... This is problematic because C90 expressly forbids mixed declarations and code. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Getting a C++ compiler for Windows XP
    ... Obviously, if you *like* your programs to run like syrup, then .Net is the ... If you see yourself as on some sort of mission to eradicate Microsoft from ... compilers simply wouldn't work. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: a mergesort
    ... g95 or gfortran? ... gfortran but other compilers. ... As to your specific question about a merge sort, ... try your code with a large cross section of compilers. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Possible F77 Code Improvement ??
    ... order, but since you are prepared to sort them, anyway, that should ... Actually, the one I meant was to avoid computing GAM*R ... three times in the loop. ... That compilers did many years ago. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)