Re: Ada script, anyone

http://www.pegasoft.ca/bush.html

> The reason I'm asking is I know a C/C++ interpreter which, though it is a
> barebones commandline interpreter and does not provide the full comfort of
> an integrated IDE (with a debugger, etc.), makes life easier.
>
> It'd be great to have a tool like the universally ever popular Visual
> Basic thing - which most coders I know prefer to everything else - that'd
> be as easy to get going and introduce them (or help them side-grade) to
> Ada.

If you are looking for a direct replacement for Visual Basic, I don't
think there is one right now. However there is a project on
SourceForge to make one:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnavi

>From what I gather, GNAVI is work in progress. Some parts of it, in
particular the GWindows library, are already mature, but the GUI
builder is beta. GWindows is Windows only but there are plans to port
it to other platforms.

Another solution is AdaCore's development suite for GTK+ or GNOME
development. This works on many platforms.

* Glade is a point-and-click GUI builder that represents your GUI as
an XML file. The associated library, libglade, allows your
application to load this XML file and create its GUI at run time.
Alternatively, glade can generate source code in various languages
from the XML file. See http://glade.gnome.org/

* GtkAda is a library allowing you to program (in a traditional way)
GTK+ interfaces in Ada. It also contains Gate, a program that takes
the XML file produced by Glade and generates Ada source from it, and
an Ada binding to libglade. Thus, you can use glade from Ada. See
http://libre.adacore.com/

* The GNAT Programming Studio is a complete IDE for Ada. See
http://libre.adacore.com

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

  • Re: Newbie Needs Ada Advice
    ... the "right" thing, and it seems to me like Ada is, in theory, a great ... text-to-whatever-type conversion when you read stuff from the GUI back ... "right" language to me for most of what my objectives are. ... Ada as the "engine" for my program, and somehow use Java to create the ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Newbie Needs Ada Advice
    ... the "right" thing, and it seems to me like Ada is, in theory, a great ... text-to-whatever-type conversion when you read stuff from the GUI back ... "right" language to me for most of what my objectives are. ... Ada as the "engine" for my program, and somehow use Java to create the ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: GNAT for MS Visual Studio
    ... Visual Studio is in may ways better than SharpDevelop, ... This kind of interaction with building GUI applications is nothing new. ... Sadly Ada is lacking in this area. ... were trying to accomplish with Claw), but I don't think it will happen. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: GNAT for MS Visual Studio
    ... doesn't scale and doesn't promote reuse (of GUI subsystems). ... (This is the only kind of derivation I have seen in GUI builders, ... If the effor to develop the GUI part of the interface takes minutes, ... You should say "an Ada GUI tool THAT I FIND ACCEPTABLE", ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: GNAT for MS Visual Studio
    ... This kind of interaction with building GUI applications is nothing new. ... Sadly Ada is lacking in this area. ... I am working in a Windows environment. ... Every time I have attempted to use Glade to set up a GUI it starts out ...
    (comp.lang.ada)