Re: Answer of Request to AdaCore on licensing Status of GtkAda 2.4.0

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
I have already voiced my position as a Debian developer: I will retain
the GMGPL for existing libraries (those in Sarge) but will switch to
the pure GPL for newer versions (those in Etch), in order to comply
with AdaCore's stated (in email) license. Furthermore, I am removing
the linking and generic instantiation exception text from the source
files in Debian, in order to reduce the potential for confusion; ....

Again, Thanks for all your work on the Debian Ada packages.

One thing I'd request would be for you to clearly distinguish between a
GtkAda or Florist Debian package that is GMGPL and a pure GPL version,
when I'm looking at packages in aptitude or a similar package
management tool.

Whether having two visibly different package names, like maybe
"GPLflorist" vs. "Florist " or GPLgtkAda vs. GtkAda is a good approach
or something else would be better, I dont' know.

I guess part of the request is not to "mix" Debian package dependencies
between GMGPL packages, and the GPL packages.

Is that hard to do? Have you already dealt with this? I hate to add to
your workload, but if we're going to have two sets of Ada toolkits that
have such radically different permitted uses in Debian, we'll need help
keeping the licenses straight.

Steve

  • Re: Answer of Request to AdaCore on licensing Status of GtkAda 2.4.0
    ... GtkAda or Florist Debian package that is GMGPL and a pure GPL version, ... In the event that I keep parallel versions, the existing GMGPL packages ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: GtkAda License Question
    ... GtkAda 2.4.0 from libre is GMGPL ... having the GM excerpt but claiming pure GPL in some file, ... Debian is good for your ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2014 #872
    ... I am not a debian user and this has no ... simple database solution without [Steve Litt ... debian packages would have their file trees ... With my rsyslog (and systemd maintainer) hat on, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • unsubscribe
    ... > Subject: debian newbie... ... If I need to recompile the kernel, ... Also, what other additional packages, ... >> The package you're trying to install presumably ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Debian Weekly News - July 20th, 2004 (fwd)
    ... Debian Weekly News - July 20th, ... General Resolution to force AMD64 into Sarge? ... his plan to upload gcc-3.4 packages to unstable. ... the Free Software Printing Summit that was held during this year's LSM ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)