Re: AdaCore ... the Next SCO?

Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Microsoft offers lengthy license texts, including on redistributables.
Some paragraphs are known to not apply in some contries, still the
license text suggests they do (to the layman, at least).
The holographic trick is, I believe, a way to make selling
forged copies of software disks more difficult.

Yes and if you have this holographic logo on your CD this is a very
strong hint that the EULA on that CD is in fact Microsoft's EULA and
not changed by someone else. No need to call Bill Gates to check the
license.

A lot like obfuscation is useful in making software theft more
difficult. And probably the looks of holographic disks help
marketing, too. But I am not aware of holographic print being used
as a signature. Is it a new form of signing?

Sorry, I did not mean holographic signature.

I wonder why industry is so reluctant in adopting digital signatures.
Are they afraid of cryptography in general? An unintelligible myth?
Less opportunity for travel because you cannot shake hands over signed
contracts when using eMail? Increased dependence on inferiors to sort
out the technical stuff? ;-)

All of that ;-)

--
Michael Bode

  • Re: Still Looking for a Coder!
    ... Microsoft may offer a variety of subscription levels to MSDN; ... |> Microsoft provides to you under the terms of this EULA. ... |> Software included with the subscription level you have acquired. ... 'If you have not acquired a license to subscribe to MSDN, ...
    (alt.php)
  • Re: Parting out a computer. What part can Windows XP Pro go with?
    ... Read the EULA: ... EULA is a perfectly valid commerial use license. ... software license only with a fully assembled computer system. ... HARDWARE DISTRIBUTION. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Parting out a computer. What part can Windows XP Pro go with?
    ... Read the EULA: ... a perfectly valid commerial use license. ... software license only with a fully assembled computer system. ... If this package contains hardware units, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: dell vista upgrade license?
    ... concerned about the spirit of an EULA than the letter of it. ... You are NOT buying Vista. ... So, on your theory, do you only buy one set of license plates and then put ... As years go by, laws do change. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: hardware hash (coded profile) kept at MS or on PC?
    ... But you have done more then one install using that license key (that was not ... Corect it technically is according to the EULA. ... >>> 3) would it even recognize that multiple installs ...