Re: Structured exception information

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I'm certainly not willing to give up any of Ada's other features to
get it.

I think there's no need to give up anything.

If you look into the details of "structured exception handling" in
other languages and implementations, they have bugs, and fundamental
flaws in design.

Please be more specific.

Well, I can't. I plead guilty to arguing from authority and vague
memory on this one. The memory is of discussions of problems with
various exception implementations in C++ and Java, on other
newsgroups.

OK, fair enough.

Here's my vague memory:

C++ always had finalization (destructors). Later on, exceptions were
added. There was much moaning and gnashing of teeth from implementers,
claiming "exceptions are hard to implement properly".

Ada always had exceptions. Later on, finalization was added. There
was much moaning and gnashing of teeth from implementers, claiming
"finalization is hard to implement properly".

The truth is, the interactions between exceptions and finalization are
nasty, and hard to get right.

- Bob

  • Re: .NET SUCKS --- READ FOLLOWING. MICROSOFT IS A SUCKY CO
    ... > handles or disposing of other objects that may free any memory they're using. ... > What's also require is that callers dispose your disposable objects. ... Supressing finalization also helps ... which implementations are support to do in the ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: Deleting a preloaded image from memory
    ... The variable aVar then gets assigned to memory address ABC. ... these types of generalisations about javascript implementations. ... you waffle on about the history of computers as if it was unknown. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: Pointer validity
    ... Implementations are allowed to do whatever ... impossible to classify a pointer value as stack or non-stack ... >> Pointers to valid memory locations can come from an external ... >> friends, for locating heap corruption, dangling references, etc. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: C and Low-level Storage (was: I need a new compiler...
    ... are there existing implementations of C that ... program" to system-level storage? ... Practially speaking, the Operating System, and sometimes the hardware, protects some areas of memory. ... Take the same chunk of real memory, attach it to one or more applications - at different virtual addresses. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: execution time becomes unpredictable?!
    ... > performance and real implementations of memory heaps *really do* ... > do exist Oimplementations of malloc/free (and realloc, ... As far as I know, gcc, ... > because its open source and "Lea" malloc implementation is reasonably ...
    (comp.lang.c)