Re: Parallel Text Corpus Processing with Ada?

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:07:53 +0100, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 14:31 +0100, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

There is wide class of problems which patterns do not solve or solve
inefficiently. Like building dictionaries finding longest common substring
etc. (Compiling Ada programs is also in this class. (:-))

OK. This valuable context information would, I think, be a nice
addition to your SNOBOL patterns comments.
In line with the SNOBOL4 motto: Don't use pattern matching...

I am just trying to be honest. (:-))

Then existence of unsolvable problems does not imply that any problem is
like that. There is a class of problems where patterns are suitable. They
best fit in scripting environments.

But when I see patterns in the context of parallel processing of massive
amounts of data, then the first thing I would do is to verify if I really
should use them.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov