Re: How do I write directly to a memory address?

Hyman Rosen wrote:

On 2/11/2011 1:42 PM, Vinzent Hoefler wrote:
Hyman Rosen wrote:

But software developers have switched to languages which
they believe will improve what they produce;

No. For example, I know a project where the developers switched
from Pascal to C++, because C++ was "object-oriented" and Java was
too slow. Productivity was so good, that the project was cancelled
three years later.

And they switched because they believed that "object oriented"
programming languages would help them improve what they produced.

No, they switched because it had to be "object-oriented, because that's
what modern software has to be". The old DOS-project survived years
after them. It had the advantage that it worked.

Even Ada bowed to this paradigm, no?

I'm not against object-oriented, but I'm all with Alan Kay.

When the world tells you what it considers important, you ignore it
at your peril. You speak of a project that was canceled after three
years. What of Ada itself? Hasn't it too been "canceled" by the market?

Well, it's like the old DOS-project. It just works.

And how exactly do you believe a language goes from non-existence to
ubiquity if the driving force is "everybody uses it"?

Good marketing and stupid people. Look at Java.

Vinzent.

--
You know, we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon,
and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder.