Re: Eorros for me, in the assembly history

Betov wrote:
> Robert Redelmeier <redelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait news:%XFwf.48846
> $dO2.21538@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
> > There is even a place of GUIs among users who
> > have simple needs unlikely to advance. Obviously not
> > including programmers.
>
> Obviously including programmers, as long as programmers
> are users, like any other user. The claim of having the
> programmers a special kind of specie, on computers, is
> nothing but counter-productive arrogancy deprived of
> any base, of any argument, and demonstrated utterly
> false, by any real life fact.
>
> One of the main reasons, exactly, why Linux will probably
> never be a usable Operating System, as long as, _exactly_,
> it does not do its job, that is... to do the job when the
> user clicks on an Item. Period.
>

> Betov.
>
> < http://rosasm.org >

Wannabie can tell you all about Ubuntu.

I have not had the joy of trying Ubuntu yet, but supposedly its
installation and user interphase is even better than Debian's (what I'm
using) and it's consistancy is on par with Mac's. (Consistancy is the
key to good GUI design IMO. When the "yes" button is always on the
left, you don't even need to read to say yes anymore)

Synaptic to install stuff (automatically downloads and installs
applications), Open Office for those who haven't switched to the
superior TeX and are too used to MS Word :-p (fine, I'll stop my TeX
plugs), or AbiWord + Gnumeric (abiword == word clone, gnumeric ==
excel), firefox, + games.

IIRC... Ubuntu installs that by default. Aka, when you load up the
disk, no effort. But again, I haven't used Ubuntu, so plz tell me if
I'm wrong Wannabie.

--Dragontamer

  • Re: Questions from somebody who has never used Linux
    ... As the title says, I have never used Linux before, even though I have ... because I hear the Ubuntu version is a bit "weak", ... desktop and thus have a preference for Kubuntu that installs the KDE ... make no effort to mimic Windows. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [11.04]-Turn Off Unity & Use Classic Gnome?
    ... "Ubuntu Gnome 3 Remix" is the officially-sanctioned style, ... Ubuntu and insserv on Debian, it's become more of a PitA. ... There's just the advice to use the Ubuntu upgrade applications and not ... on actual hardware - a majority in VMs and a majority X-less installs ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 82, Issue 120
    ... Ubuntu 10.04 Updates List ... GRUB Section in 11.04 Preseed file ... installs now and have gone past several issues in the preseed ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: OT: Linux?
    ... It installs all ubuntu SO in a file in the windows file system like any other windows application and add an entry to the boot menu to run this SO. ... I just received a free CD with Ubuntu Linux on it, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: ELF loading
    ... if Linux could work half of the same way, ... on improving in the wishable usability direction, ... Now, what irritates me, here, is with having programmers who ... Even saying that nowadays' Ubuntu is something for Joe-Users ...
    (alt.lang.asm)