Re: AMD instruction set

<mike7411@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1160078551.346261.245130@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is the instruction set that runs on an AMD CPU essentially the same as
that of Intel?

Essentially, yes. Otherwise it would not be possible to run the same
software, eh? AFAIK they are *at least* the same all the way up to P4. The
MMX/XMM/SSE instructions (and support thereof) may differ, but that *should*
be in a documented way through the CPUID instruction. Compare their
respective processor manuals for the differences.

[Jongware]

  • CPU and Mainboard recommendations
    ... So I'm a little afraid of nforce3. ... the last few years and did not investigate much on Intel. ... AFAIK the PIV and the Athlon64 are in the same performance league? ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: I need a disassembler for AMD 188
    ... Excuse me, but AFAIK, Intel has referred to the 8086/8 family as a ... 32-bit processor since the early 80's when I was first writing assembler ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Erlang concurrency
    ... Only on certain combinations of OS and CPU, though, AFAIK. ... Linux on Intel is amongst them and this is probably what most people ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: AMD64 sales figures
    ... I think me meant Pentium 4 having 3Ghz. ... Afaik not because Alpha is 64 bit and intel ...
    (comp.os.vms)