Re: f0dder, the agony and the ecstacy. :)

smile,

What's all this whinging I hear, f0dder produces two sort demos using
unpublished routines from closed source C libraries and wonders why I
respond by doing the same, unpublished source from my PB junk ?

Under normal conditions, NOTHING can be produced by either of the two
32 bit PowerBASIC compilers that is not written in it as it does not
have the capacity to use external libraries and even though you are
trying to draw a distinction between basic and assembler, within the
compiler, the distinction does not exist.

While you have to suffer internal code re-ordering that destroys your
internal optimisation if you try and using inline assembler mixed with
high level code, this much you can be sure of, PowerBASIC DOES NOT
MODIFY YOUR CODE and this is EXACTLY why it mixes assembler code with
its various high level operators.

At least I posted the original design of the algo and the modifications
done to it, a 1986 Sedgewick design with a tri-median front end on it.
This is only 20 year old code design, something that should be a breeze
for a (b)leeeding edge uber_coders hot_sh*t C compiler that can beat
hand written assembler by flicking a few command line switches.

What you should be doing instead of trying to foulmouth a tool you
barely understand is write a decent sort algo yourself and link it into
a C program and you should be able to get it to about 5 or 6k, not the
appalling bloated crap you actually posted.

One of the many reasons why so many people use PowerBASIC is because of
its output size and this is particularly with large sized commercial
applications ranging into megabytes in size that have to be
maintainable over years of use in commerce by people who actually know
how to write specification basic. Its not my own preferred style of
code but it lives a long time and it often has many hands to it over
that lifetime.

While it is dying out now, there is still a reasonable amount of line
numbered basic in commercial use around the world that has been
slugging it out for 15 or 20 years. While C++ compilers are rushing off
headlong into gigabyte sized apps, the vast majority of computer around
the world will not run the latest C++ stuff for size, speed and
compatibility reasons.

PowerBASIC legacy style code will run on a 486 if the machine has
enough memory because it does not produce the bloated crap that come
out of recent C compilers.

Even Microsoft have realised this recently and with the Express edition
of the C compiler, the optimisations have been radically improved and
clarified and if you know how to do it, you can run the PGO on an app
then rebuild it so that different parts of the code receive different
optimisation techniques.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com

.