Re: Couple basic questions

f0dder wrote:
T.M. Sommers wrote:
f0dder wrote:
fermineutron wrote:

4) does 32 bit asm have a dependence on the operating system? That
is if i assembled and linked 32-bit asm code under winXP will it run
under DOS, like the 16 bit code would have?

Raw assembly code (ie, something like a sorting algorithm) will be
"portable" between any 32bit x86 operating system.

Just to clarify: at the source code level it will be portable,
but not at the object code level, since different operating
systems will use different object file formats.

Yup - COFF and ELF are widely available, though :)

Not necessarily on the same system. Again, I know you know this; I just want to be sure the OP understands, too.

--
Thomas M. Sommers -- tms@xxxxxx -- AB2SB

.