Re: Linux / Windows GUI application with assembly

Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
KiLVaiDeN wrote:

way of doing it; Using a 3rd party library is different than using the
base windowing system, as it's possible under Win32. When we'll be able
to use Xlib from Assembly, we'd have made a great advance in Assembly
programming under Linux for GUI applications; Not yet. So Rene was
right, once again, about his assumption.

Xlib also is nothing but a "3rd party library". But you can directly
connect to the Xserver without using Xlib. A few weeks ago Linux
assembly code was posted here to open a Window. Now you can be the pioneer
and find out the rest (output text and graphics, get mouse and keyboard events).

here is the X11 protocol documentation:

http://www.xfree86.org/current/specindex.html

see the core protocol.

  • Re: Linux / Windows GUI application with assembly
    ... base windowing system, ... Xlib also is nothing but a "3rd party library". ... I'll try to post a "progress report" soon... ... (I don't really expect this to lead to anything useful, but it *can* be done without *any* libraries at all. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Linux / Windows GUI application with assembly
    ... base windowing system, as it's possible under Win32. ... Xlib also is nothing but a "3rd party library". ... A few weeks ago Linux ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: input from keyboard
    ... on, say, a Windows host running an X server. ... write a program which runs in Linux and uses a Windows PC ... Xlib code to my program because on every Linux system Xlib ... you tried to bypass the C interface to Windows and use its internals. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Linux / Windows GUI application with assembly
    ... A few weeks ago Linux ... assembly code was posted here to open a Window. ... X Server without using the Xlib which is part of the X11 distribution. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • cygwin xfree86->rh gdm
    ... cygwin XWin) but I see ... Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server ... I'd rather not use the resources on the Linux Box yet still have this ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)