Re: avoiding SIGSEGV

ArarghMail611NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Fortran, COBOL, and Assembler all predate BASIC. And, of course, before those, there was machine language.
And before that, patch cords.
And before that, cards.

Before machine language???

I'm old enough to have used drums/cords/cards/switches, but I didn't get into computers at all until I was in my late forties, so I missed all that. I'm used to having a cassette recorder and BASIC in ROM, at least. Spoiled!

Best,
Frank

  • Re: avoiding SIGSEGV
    ... And, of course, before those, there was machine language. ... And before that, patch cords. ... And before that, cards. ... I started on a 1401 with cards and AutoCoder, ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: avoiding SIGSEGV
    ... And, of course, before those, there was machine language. ... And before that, cards. ... the article refers to storing "machine instructions" on cards. ... we build ENIAC *without* storeable instructions! ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: avoiding SIGSEGV
    ... Fortran, COBOL, and Assembler all predate BASIC. ... And, of course, before those, there was machine language. ... And before that, patch cords. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: avoiding SIGSEGV
    ... And before that, patch cords. ... I would tend to place 'soldering irons' between the last two I ... Cards go back over 100 years. ... I wrote that before I realized that you meant the looms. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: avoiding SIGSEGV
    ... Don't forget Lisp. ... And before that, patch cords. ... I would tend to place 'soldering irons' between the last two I ... Cards go back over 100 years. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)