Re: Flaw in install script for nasm v0.98.39?

Frank Kotler wrote:

(Unix-folk don't like to actually get their hands dirty with the source,
it's all supposed to be automated - dos-heads are *used* to a little pain :)

I think it's just the other way. In DOS, all you had to do was to
create a new directory and copy all files (executable, config files,
data files) into this directory. To "uninstall the application", you
only needed to delete the directory and you could be sure, there
where no left over in a "registry" or "system directories".

NASM should only depend on the correct version of Clib. So why
don't provide a binary of NASM for the current Clib. Why has
everybody to download the source and compile it himself. I
think this is one of the biggest disadvantage of Linux compared
to Windows for normal users. And I also prefer a simple text
or pdf file (which can easily be printed) over any "man" or
"help" system.

  • Re: New to Debian Linux - I have NASM experience under DOS 6.22
    ... > simple NASM program under Linux. ... > whether there is a more official or reliable way to make a NASM ... Windows automatically including the "current directory" in the ... directory" is NOT part of that PATH as it is with DOS... ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Best way to Assemble an 8086 PC-BIOS
    ... I'm not familiar with ASM86, but from a quick search it looks like MASM to ... NASM and MASM should run fine in Windows. ... NASM also works in DOS. ...
    (comp.os.msdos.programmer)
  • Re: Linker strangeness
    ... but it didn't execute correctly. ... > DOS, but not under windows. ... package, used separate full MASM package, v5.xx or v6.xx, v6.11 is the ... binary (NASM is able to do this w/o external linker) and then include it ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Just learning...
    ... I *was* running win98, when I was running Windows, but a week or so ago, it decided not to boot. ... Which build of Nasm 0.98.39 did you get? ... The Windows build won't work with NasmIde - claims to have assembled with no errors, but Nasm doesn't even run. ... I mostly used the djgpp (32-bit dos) build. ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • build NASM on DOS (was: Re: Odd problem with int 0x21, ah = 0x4A)
    ... Did my patch for building NASM under MSDOS ever get accepted into main ... needed renaming to fit within the 8.3 filename format mandated by DOS. ... So, if they ever did let it compile in pure DOS previously, I'm ... On another more encouraging note, they did fix it where the ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)