Protected mode multitasking.

From: Patrik Weibull (steganos128_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/02/04

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:50:53 +0000 (UTC)

Hello. I'm planning an own operating system, and was wondering how
multitasking could be implemented. I gathered that one way of doing it is
to take X amount of instructions from a process, load it's stack and
registers, execute them, save the registers and stack, then load the next
process.

You get the idea. Is there some faster way of doing this that you know of?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: retf for 16bit or 32bit? CS:IP or CS:EIP?
    ... | This means when can I use the extended data registers (eax, ebx, ecx, ... | How does the assembler know when to load the address from the stack as ... | CS:IP and when to load the address from the stack as CS:EIP? ... The assembler will only accept your preference ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Protected mode multitasking.
    ... :registers, execute them, save the registers and stack, then load the next ... from a lower priority task while higher priority tasks are waiting for some ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Most Wanted Instructions
    ... Result should be delivered in eax:edx so you have to store it on the stack ... and then load it into the registers. ... Regards ...
    (borland.public.delphi.language.basm)
  • Re: Statement on Schildt submitted to wikipedia today
    ... you discover that Schildt was libeled. ... It turns out that, on this particular architecture, some registers are saved ... The problem is, even though indeed this implementation has "a stack", if you ... end up adjacent to one of our newest automatic variables. ...
    (comp.lang.c.moderated)
  • Re: Geriatric Pentium
    ... processor scavenging spare ram cycles to back it up to ram and restore ... Let's say I had hardware for 128 registers. ... Ditto for caching the stack. ... PUSHL P+2;; take parameter #2 and push it ...
    (comp.lang.java.advocacy)