Re: Question about the A20 line

Thanks for explaining :-)

could you explain how address 0xffff:0x10 and 0x0000:0x0000
are the same when a wrap around occurs? Shouldnt it be 0x0000:0x0010?
Or am i not understanding the logic correctly.

"Jean-François Michaud" <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> It tests out to see if 2 memory zones overlap. When the A20 line isn't
> flipped, you only have 1Mb (20 bits) of addressable memory. Those
> memory addresses wrap around when you reach the end. so address 0:0 and
> address 0FFFFh:10h are actually the same! The thing is. If your A20
> line was flipped correctly, these 2 memory addresses would not overlap.
> If you put a byte in the first address and can't get the same value in
> the second address then your A20 flip worked!
>
> Regards
> Jean-François Michaud

  • Re: Accessing 2MB in real mode...
    ... > megabyte is translated to wrap-around to the beginning of memory. ... But, if A20 is disabled, then it will always be zero, thus causing the wrap you ... - Unreal mode is the standard real mode, with all of the segment limits set ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Question about the A20 line
    ... memory addresses wrap around when you reach the end. ... If your A20 ... these 2 memory addresses would not overlap. ... Prev by Date: ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Accessing 2MB in real mode...
    ... As it only masks off A20, A21 and up are routed to the (memory) bus as ... This means that the wrap around only occurs at odd MB addresses: ... if you don't want to fiddle with that A20 switch. ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Limit on number of columns pulled using DBI::ODBC
    ... Please try to fix your email application (Yahoo) to wrap lines at ~76 ... I were running into memory issues, I'd rebuild my SQL query as such: ... I'll help you write a function to 'chunk' things up. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Protected Mode Memory Map Location
    ... A20 is the name of a pin found on the CPU. ... Its purpose is to determine memory addresses. ... of the southbridge chipset but also accessible via old standard legacy ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)