Re: NASM - Recursive Macros and Beyond!

"Alex Buell" <alex.buell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1281219272.14162.9.camel@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 16:22 -0400, Frank Kotler wrote:
Alex Buell wrote:
Whilst we're on the subject, I recently patched NASM 2.08.01 to
compile and run under MS-DOS,

Doesn't it already compile and run under MS-DOS?

The 2.08.01 version is here:
http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/2.08.01/dos/

The current version is here:
http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/2.09rc6/dos/

They are compiled for DOS via DJGPP as 32-bit DPMI applications.

Sourceforge.net only shows 32-bit DOS versions upto 2.07. But, www.nasm.us
shows 32-bit DOS versions upto 2.09rc6, which is the current version. These
are compiled with DJGPP for DOS as 32-bit DPMI. If you want a 16-bit only
version, then you'd have to go back to 2003 for version 0.98.38.

16-bit dos??? What compiler?

OpenWatcom 1.7, it totally rocks my world.
I'm sure other compilers could work as well.

OpenWatcom can produce 16-bit and 32-bit DOS DPMI applications, which?
I.e., is it compiled as a 32-bit DPMI like the DJGPP versions of NASM?

Earlier you said:
I had to rename some files to fit MS-DOS 8.3 file name size limits,

Really? ...

Doesn't OpenWatcom now support LFN's in v1.7? I.e., can it compile projects
with LFN's?

You couldn't just unzip them in DOS with LFN's using an LFN-aware un-Zip and
an LFN driver?

PKZIP/PKUNZIP v2.50 and DJGPP's Unzip32.exe are LFN-aware. Henrik
Haftmann's DOSLFN is the best LFN driver. Jason Hood has updated the
driver. Odi's LFN Tools by Ortwin Glueck may help too, e.g., lren, ldir,
etc. DJGPP also has other DOS LFN aware tools such as: gzip, cpio, and
DJtar. Gero Kuhlmann's rpmunpac has been posted by me with DOS LFN updates
for OpenWatcom and DJGPP in comp.os.msdos.djgpp and openwatcom.contributors.

Rod Pemberton

.