Re: NASM - Recursive Macros and Beyond!

"Alex Buell" <alex.buell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1281219272.14162.9.camel@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 16:22 -0400, Frank Kotler wrote:
Alex Buell wrote:
Whilst we're on the subject, I recently patched NASM 2.08.01 to
compile and run under MS-DOS,

Doesn't it already compile and run under MS-DOS?

The 2.08.01 version is here:
http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/2.08.01/dos/

The current version is here:
http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/2.09rc6/dos/

They are compiled for DOS via DJGPP as 32-bit DPMI applications.

Sourceforge.net only shows 32-bit DOS versions upto 2.07. But, www.nasm.us
shows 32-bit DOS versions upto 2.09rc6, which is the current version. These
are compiled with DJGPP for DOS as 32-bit DPMI. If you want a 16-bit only
version, then you'd have to go back to 2003 for version 0.98.38.

16-bit dos??? What compiler?

OpenWatcom 1.7, it totally rocks my world.
I'm sure other compilers could work as well.

OpenWatcom can produce 16-bit and 32-bit DOS DPMI applications, which?
I.e., is it compiled as a 32-bit DPMI like the DJGPP versions of NASM?

Earlier you said:
I had to rename some files to fit MS-DOS 8.3 file name size limits,

Really? ...

Doesn't OpenWatcom now support LFN's in v1.7? I.e., can it compile projects
with LFN's?

You couldn't just unzip them in DOS with LFN's using an LFN-aware un-Zip and
an LFN driver?

PKZIP/PKUNZIP v2.50 and DJGPP's Unzip32.exe are LFN-aware. Henrik
Haftmann's DOSLFN is the best LFN driver. Jason Hood has updated the
driver. Odi's LFN Tools by Ortwin Glueck may help too, e.g., lren, ldir,
etc. DJGPP also has other DOS LFN aware tools such as: gzip, cpio, and
DJtar. Gero Kuhlmann's rpmunpac has been posted by me with DOS LFN updates
for OpenWatcom and DJGPP in comp.os.msdos.djgpp and openwatcom.contributors.

Rod Pemberton

  • Re: lfndssrc.zip
    ... I use DJGPP in a Windows console to compile. ... DOSLFN with DJGPP in DOS. ... I.e., wait until it complains, then run an LFN driver. ...
    (comp.os.msdos.programmer)
  • Re: GdMs DOS 3d engine in Ada
    ... compile on. ... anybody can get the latest DOS 3D engine here: ... low level things like keyboard & sound drivers, data streaming, ... Linux to DJGPP cross-compiler and run into trouble with Ada. ...
    (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)
  • Re: NASM - Recursive Macros and Beyond!
    ... Doesn't it already compile and run under MS-DOS? ... It compiles for DOS target but not on DOS host except if LFNs ... Also because NASM 2.x series needs C99 ... without LFN enabled will just truncate the filenames to 8.3. ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: need to be able to know basic MASM ONLY
    ... The reason Dirk's code looks "different" may be that it's for dos. ... START: mov ax, DATEN ... trying to compile his first program, after that I abandoned it all. ... VS with Nasm (hmmm, ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: NASM - Recursive Macros and Beyond!
    ... Doesn't it already compile and run under MS-DOS? ... It compiles for DOS target but not on DOS host except if LFNs ... I patched it so that we don't need LFNs to build the whole damned thing! ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)