Re: Nasty code...but please critique it anyway :-)

From: Jerry Coffin (jcoffin_at_taeus.com)
Date: 10/28/03

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:58:43 GMT

In article <b97c86e1.0310280629.745e03df@posting.google.com>,
mango_maniac@yahoo.com says...

[ ... ]

> It's ironic...you focused on "non-important" helper functions that I
> wrote to get input or for text formatting.

This was largely because in those cases the names of the functions made
it fairly clear what they were intended to do, so it didn't take much to
rewrite them. I leave it to you to understand your own encryption
algorithm sufficiently to apply the same principles to it.

[ ... ]

> Anyway...Thanks a bunch for you time and help. I have much to
> learn...and it's really useful to get human feedback rather than the
> only feedback coming from the compiler!!

'tis true: compilers are pretty short on advice about style
(intentionally so, to a large extent).

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

  • Re: Nasty code...but please critique it anyway :-)
    ... > wrote to get input or for text formatting. ... > learn...and it's really useful to get human feedback rather than the ... > only feedback coming from the compiler!! ... compilers are pretty short on advice about style ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Bloated file size?
    ... > about it a lot because the compiler does it for them so they don't have ... Fortran formatting has an awful lot of options. ... formatting support in Fortran is providing a lot of capability that ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Text wrapping in output under Intel compiler
    ... use when you don't care about the details of the output formatting. ... a "compiler option" to control this; it is called an explicit format ... With list-directed formatting, the details of the output format are not ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: advance="no" not portable
    ... formatting, and you have found *EXACTLY* the reason why not. ... The standard allows a compiler is allowed to start new records quite ... diagnosing problems. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: extending printf
    ... jacob navia writes: ... // arguments are compiler specific ... The problem with this approach is that all functions that check printf ... Somewhere in the including/linking you tell it about a formatting ...
    (comp.lang.c)