Re: C++ and input, it can't be platform specific

From: Jerry Coffin (jcoffin_at_taeus.com)
Date: 10/30/03

    Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:42:48 GMT

    In article <pan.2003.10.30.04.37.14.625565@cox.net>, curien@cox.net
    says...

    [ ... ]

    > Yes, but on a system that /does/ have such a thing, the OS very well might
    > not do the line-buffering; that might be up to the runtime. (Which was
    > David's point, I think.)

    Well, there's certainly nothing in the standard that tries to say how
    the run-time has to interact with the OS or anything like that -- it
    just places (or in this case, doesn't place) certain requirements on
    what the implementation as a whole has to be able to provide.

    In this case, since it's basically impossible to provide it on some
    systems, they didn't require that the implementation provide a way to
    read one character at a time.

    --
        Later,
        Jerry.

    • Re: g++ and VC++ (off topic?)
      ... ISTR issues with both of them. ... everything the standard requires, ... The universe is a figment of its own imagination. ...
      (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
    • Re: arrays/vectors/templates
      ... The standard defines size_t, and using ... The universe is a figment of its own imagination. ...
      (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
    • Re: Linked lists in C/C++
      ... the details, but the bottom line is that while there are restrictions, ... That's not true either -- the permissions are there in the standard ... The universe is a figment of its own imagination. ...
      (comp.lang.cpp)
    • Re: Are DSP Processors losing out to ARMs?
      ... What does that imply about the continuing need for civil engineers? ... I used a catalog of standard ... The design ans specifications are done once and for all. ... imagination as more and more standard tasks are solved ...
      (comp.dsp)
    • Re: Clarks dilemma
      ... standard assumption that all hominid species ... selective origin of what is undeniably the most communally ... communal adaptations you will never do anything but spin your wheels ... You need to stop confusing your imagination for evidence. ...
      (sci.anthropology.paleo)