Re: Objects

From: jeffc (nobody_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 11/13/03

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:11:03 -0500

"Chris ( Val )" <chrisval@bigpond.com.au> wrote in message
news:bovton$1ij2go$1@ID-110726.news.uni-berlin.de...

> | The OP asked about a specific passage from a specific book,
> | that was an interpretation of the standard, and it was, as
> | I said, misleading at best. The fact that the standard
> | itself is not "perfect" isn't really relevant.
>
> This is my whole point though.
>
> You say the statement is "misleading at best", right ?.
>
> At the same time, you acknowledge that the standard
> is not prefectly or clearly written, and the fact that
> readers of this standard have different interpretations
> of its writing'.
>
> Using your logic, one could argue the standard itself
> is misleading(I acknowledge that it is not very clear
> in a lot of areas itself), so why don't you taint it
> with the same brush ?

I acknowledged that declaration vs. definition can be confusing, or could be
considered misleading. The OP didn't ask about declaration vs. definition,
he asked about class vs. object. I'm not aware of anything confusing or
misleading there. In Smalltalk or some other OO language, class and object
might get confusing, but I don't think there's any reason for it in C++.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WANTED: Volunteer to Scan Old Programs
    ... BASIC to the American National Standard for Minimal BASIC, ... Implementation-defined features ... Error and exception reporting ... of interpretation, and Section 5 for information peculiar to ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: Learning Logic and Set Theory
    ... >PRIOR definition of a FIRST-ORDER LANGUAGE. ... standard definition? ... >purporting to be a definition would need to meet; definability would ... >In the first place, once there is more than one interpretation, ...
    (sci.logic)
  • Re: RfD: Make ENVIRONMENT? obsolescent
    ... The interpretation and compilation semantics of F+ are specified. ... are consistent with the requirements of this Standard." ... string matches the corresponding character in the string used as the ... FLOATING wordset, but from some other wordset? ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Learning Logic and Set Theory
    ... PRIOR definition of a FIRST-ORDER LANGUAGE. ... >>first-order theorems are INDEPENDENT of the interpretation. ... if there were a standard, YOU WOULD KNOW IT. ...