Re: Efficient Text File Copy

From: CBFalconer (cbfalconer_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/31/04

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:05:51 GMT

Richard Heathfield wrote:

... snip ...

> For a hashing algorithm, either use K&R's (p144!) or Chris Torek's
> (with the 33 multiplier rather than 31).

Why do you recommend this? I have used 31 and 37 in the past.
This is to hash strings consisting (in the main) of ascii chars.
Frankly I took Kernighan & Pikes word for it, also noting that 31
and 37 are prime, while 33 is not.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Efficient Text File Copy
    ... snip ... ... > For a hashing algorithm, either use K&R's or Chris Torek's ... Why do you recommend this? ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Home Networking
    ... I have now found from the pc the laptop however still am having problems ... <SNIP> ... We know that the browser service is running on Computer (such an original name ... Check both Chris and Computer, ...
  • Re: can you post anything Mr. Christensen?
    ... Cuba, he wrote back that it was Rudy Rummell. ... You really seem to be reaching here, Chris. ... Lobbying comrade Dan. ...
    (soc.culture.cuba)
  • Re: conditional join?
    ... "Chris2" wrote: ... Chris O. ... I will include the Progress procedure I am using to achieve the results. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: Extremely undignified wizarding names
    ... <TOTAL SNIP> ... Given that Chris's father support the war ... rest of content of the post wasn't required since Chris was not commenting ... the Father DID control the finances of his children while they still ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)