Re: [C++] Initialization lists with array

From: Chris \( Val \) (chrisval_at_bigpond.com.au)
Date: 03/30/04

    Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:28:54 +1000

    "Gary Labowitz" <glabowitz@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:hO2dnfdXrrh1Iv7dRVn-hA@comcast.com...
    | "Chris ( Val )" <chrisval@bigpond.com.au> wrote in message
    | >

    | > In essence, just because we can apply an algorithms to the
    | > std::string class, does not mean that we should call it a
    | > container class. Btw(please correct me if I'm wrong), but I
    | > had thought that the std::string class had already been written,
    | > prior to the adoption of the STL by the committee ?
    |
    | But it does container a sequence of char's. Doesn't that make it a container
    | candidate?

    Yes, it does container a sequence of char's, but so does a
    standard character array, of which algorithms can be applied
    to as well.

    Cheers.
    Chris Val

    • Re: Looking for tutorial info on data structures
      ... >> data structures for commonly encountered tasks, ... >> pointers to a common reference container of data elements. ... > the classical algorithms in algorithms and data structures ...
      (comp.unix.programmer)
    • Re: Application logic and Business logic
      ... Relation is several things and it is a container like matrix, list, ... bag, vector, etc. ... Don't you use graphs, arrays, linked lists, ... tool uses better algorithms. ...
      (comp.object)
    • Re: [C++] Initialization lists with array
      ... before the STL existed it was not an STL container. ... | Are there specific container requirements that std::string fails ... of containers should not just depend on what algorithms ... The result is that now strings have a dual- ...
      (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
    • Re: STL algorithms & operator overloading
      ... >name is a string. ... map/multimap/set/multiset are tightly coupled with "comparison functions" ... when you define your container (and when you /don't/, ... algorithms such as std::sort. ...
      (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
    • Re: Container library progress
      ... in an associative container you access them by key. ... The index in the sequence IS the key. ... Adding a base point to a simple sequence makes it a virtual array ... insertion and deletion does not alter the key-value relationship. ...
      (comp.lang.c)