Re: Pass by ref vs. value

From: Wolfie (bgbdwolf_at_gte.net)
Date: 05/18/04

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:07:29 GMT

Francis Glassborow wrote:

> But unlike C, the novice does not have to learn all those tricky bits
> of C++. String handling is the classic example but there are many
> others.

No, but they've got to learn a bunch of other stuff instead -- objects,
etc.

C's a very small language; it's not at all difficult to learn the
*language*
itself. Learning what to *do* with the language and learning the common
pitfalls -- in short, mastering the language -- can take quite a while
longer
and is orders of magnitude more difficult.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Definition(s)" of intelligence (common natural, artificial, general)
    ... language of AI is likewise not the worst of its problems. ... "Learning is acquiring new, or modifying and reinforcing existing, ... You've fallen into my trap! ... You have yet to show that goals ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: Strong AI Thesis (No Chinese room, I promise)
    ... with the idea of a generic learning system at work. ... make vision work better, and language work better, etc. ... Logic, mathematics, and scientific method ology have ... recognized the limitations which linguistic practices im pose on ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: Why dont we have a stong AI by now? (To Curt Welch and other)
    ... learning power can be tested, isolated, and quantified in the laboratory. ... global brain would not exist, if not for the power each human brings to it. ... complex language and human social system would evolve. ... But the innate learning ability of the two humans is identical. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: Gradual Learning, not Reinforcement Learning
    ... You seem to believe that "learning" means acquiring behaviours the system has never exhibited before. ... You use learning HORSE as an example, and posit HOXEL as an intermediate stage, with HORSE as an "ideal" to be achieved. ... Firstly, the system must be capable of "producing language", else it cannot learn the semantic difference between HORSE and HOTEL, both of which are easy consequences of HOXEL. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • The Gaelic Society of Moscow speaks out!
    ... TEN REASONS FOR LEARNING IT ... ©Gaelic Society of Moscow,2003 ... language if you have few opportunities to use it in addition, ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)