Re: Tabs vs. Spaces

From: Petec (x_at_x.x)
Date: 05/24/04

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:18:48 GMT

Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, The Mike wrote:
<snip>
>> It's often said that changing the tabsize could have unwanted
>> sideeffects. How could that be? If I enter a <Tab>, a literal Tab
>> will be inserted. It's up to the program (lpr, editor ...) to
>> interpret the TAB. How could I possibly influence these programs?
>
> You can't. So that means that by that single keypress, you've
> surrendered all control over how you want your text to be viewed.
> Programmers in general love control, especially over their own
> products. Thus, programmers in general hate tabs.

I use a variable width font, so if you use spaces I won't see any
predictable spacing.
Not all of us use ancient fixed-width fonts.

- Pete

> As a final note, GNU indent already exists. If you really want
> random tabs in your text, go download it and fiddle with the settings.
> There's no reason to use tabs in production code today.
>
> HTH.
> -Arthur

Relevant Pages

  • Re: why bother with standards ?
    ... so most Forth programmers prefer just ... Imagine that Firefox is written in Forth. ... cruft level is about what you're used to from real-world application ... e.g. to make the tabs change color on a particular ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: why bother with standards ?
    ... so most Forth programmers prefer just ... Imagine that Firefox is written in Forth. ... cruft level is about what you're used to from real-world application ... e.g. to make the tabs change color on a particular ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Troll Alert: Indentation level woes
    ... > Modern text editors allow programmers to set tab stops where they wish. ... > and spaces to tabs respectively. ... How can I be a troll for asking advice from experienced ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code
    ... tabs and spaces is straightforward when it is not. ... IOW reward programmers for being sloppy and using poor tools. ... You can't get the 'wrong tab indents' when everything is ... you're complaining about mixing tabs and spaces. ...
    (comp.lang.python)