Visual C++ 6.0 or 7.x for teaching in a games context?

From: Jonathan G Campbell (jg.campbell_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: 11/14/04

Date: 14 Nov 2004 04:25:35 -0800

Next year I and some colleagues may begin teaching some games related
programming courses. Very likely DirectX will used; and OpenGL.

The games domain probably demands Windows; the college has now moved
almost universally to XP.

There was some hint that VC++ 6.0 (most recent service pack) 'would do
okay'; and majority of DirectX related textbooks assume 6.0. But I see
recent posts here commenting unfavourably on the standards compliance
of 6.0. A few years ago I had problems with it not compiling very
simple template code; but apparently that could have been solved by a
more recent s.p.

Incidentally, is the only choice 7.0? (7.x?) Presumably .NET means no
more than some add-ons?

I realise that one could use some version of Borland Builder -- but
most of the textbooks (and more significantly their examples) assume
VC++. I realise also that the OpenGL API requires only C (and doesn't
need Windows at all). But we may use C++ classes at a top level; and
we will be teaching some fundamentals of algorithms and data
structures based on the standard library. I suppose DirectX also
requires only C.

Has anything happened in C standardisation that the latest VC++ 6.0
will have missed?

Finally, the main question. Could someone give me a few chapters and
verses on why we need 7.x, so that I can specify it with confidence?

TIA.

Jon C.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Microsoft brings back spirit of the Speccie - CVG
    ... unveiled a software suite called XNA Game Studio Express - which will be ... Given that OpenGL is easy to use, well documented and is supported by ... The code would also be clean of the crap required by DirectX, ... Windows use DirectX. ...
    (comp.sys.sinclair)
  • Re: OpenGL vs. DirectX
    ... It was my impression that the reason more games were made for ... DirectX was Windows' installed base. ... just that much better than OpenGL. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: portable games in .net?
    ... OpenGL can be called from Managed code using Tao ... of progress or performance is on non windows based computers. ... portability. ... News and Resources for Managed DirectX ...
  • Re: Is Direct3D a rip-off of OpenGL?
    ... >> People who think that a method change in a NEW INTERFACE in DirectX ... Most games are written in DirectX ... >>> OPenGL has never broken any code. ... > the Windows platform, that means I have to maintain a DX renderer. ...
    (comp.graphics.api.opengl)
  • Re: portable games in .net?