Re: basic question about references

From: Ben Cottrell (bench_at_bench333.screaming.net)
Date: 01/09/05

Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 03:30:14 +0000

zapro wrote:
> Hello, I am learning C++ and having problems understanding references.
> Considering this piece of code:
>
> class NumSequence1 {
> protected:
> NumSequence1(std::vector<int> &re)
> : _relems(re) {}
> std::vector<int> &_relems;
> };
>
> class Fibonacci1 : public NumSequence1 {
> public:
>
> Fibonacci1()
> : NumSequence1(&_elems) {} // ERROR
>
> // ....
>
> protected:
> static std::vector<int> _elems;
> };
>

> this code doesn't compile and reports the errors:
>
> error: no matching function for call to
> `NumSequence1::NumSequence1(std::vector<int, std::allocator<int> >*)'
> error: candidates are: NumSequence1::NumSequence1(const NumSequence1&)
> error: NumSequence1::NumSequence1(std::vector<int, std::allocator<int> >&)
>
> If I remove the ``&'' from the Fibonacci1 constructor everything
> compiles, but I don't exactly understand why. My understanding is that
> since NumSequence1 accepts references, I would use the symbol & in the
> member initialization list ( NumSequence1(&_elems) ) in class
> Fibonacci1. Why don't I have to do that?

first of all remember that & is the 'Address Of' Operator.
   so, &_elems is 'Address of _elems' .. You would be passing the
address, rather than the object

The NumSequence1 constructor accepts objects of the type
std::vector<int> - it does not accept addresses.

Furthermore, by declaring NumSequence1(std::vector<int> &re) you have
specified that "re" is a Reference to an object, so "re" is not an
object itself.

you could think of a reference in this context like an alias or nickname
- You will be referring to an existing object somewhere else in the
program, but doing so under the name "re".

If, on the other hand, "re" was a pointer to a std::vector<int> instead
of a reference, then you would be correct in passing &_elems, since "re"
would be an object who's data type is 'address of std::vector<int>'.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Seeing Access 2003 table in Access 2007
    ... The reason you're not able to compile is likely because code is running. ... VBA code in your database will not be disabled from the get-go. ... I had a second missing reference which I ... Compile {ProjectName}, where is the name of your VBA ...
  • Re: 7.0 wishlist?
    ... doing it at compile time runs into the problems shown. ... At least an NPE in seemingly-null-safe could would then be prima facie evidence of thread-unsafety in the null's source chain, and with a runtime check on the reference assignment the NPE will occur in one of blocks that participated in a race condition instead of somewhere random later on. ... void method ... For that, I have the thread hold the queue in a WeakReferenceand if the removemethod hits the timeout, it sleeps for a while holding no other references to the queue. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: C#.net 2008 build problem
    ... To compile the big solution for the first time, ... references to the 'subversion' source control for the first time? ... To add a project reference for each project, ...
  • Re: Library Database
    ... library database has a .Mde or .Accde extension. ... How can you call a function in a library database without ... then you must also compile the library first. ... But perhaps it matters because of the implicit reference ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Calling on Methods and Properties within Worksheet Modules
    ... The only reason why I can think of doing that, the Object data type is ... VB.NET base code, ... to other limitations and the lack of being able to bind at compile time. ... Declare l_wsh As Object ' note not as worksheet ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)