Re: [OT] Indian C programmers and "u"

From: Floyd Davidson (floyd_at_barrow.com)
Date: 12/06/03

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:53:53 -0900

Mark Gordon <spamtrap@flash-gordon.me.uk> wrote:
>On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 07:23:09 -0900
>Floyd Davidson <floyd@barrow.com> wrote:
>> The history of telegraphy is quite interesting, and while I
>> won't go into detail, let me point out two or three things of
>> significance to your statements.
>>
>> Between 1840 and perhaps 1920, personal use of telegraphy was
>> very common, and many people learned morse code almost as a
>> matter of course. Businessmen had a wire between their homes
>> and their offices, for example, and did their own telegraphy.
>
>The first electric telegraph line was constructed between Washington and
>Baltimore in 1844, and the highways of Europe and America were soon
>lined by poles and crossarms carrying wires through which the silent
>electric messages streamed in ever-increasing numbers.

I just as well could have said between 1800 and 1920, and it
would *still* be correct. I did not say anything about what
existed, or not, between 1840 and 1844.

Regardless, several types of electric telegraph machines were
demonstrated in Europe in the early thirties, which is how
Samual F.B. Morse became interested in it. He demonstrated his
telegraph machine on January 24, 1838 over a ten mile circuit at
New York University.

By 1840 both the London & Birmingham and Great Western Railroads
in England where using electric telegraph.

Morse also installed a submarine cable in New York, between
Castle Garden and Governor's Island, in 1842.

>The above, or similar is quoted in many places, so it's use cannot have
>been common in 1840 before the first line was constructed.

On the other hand, *most* electric telegraph in the US prior to
1844 was in fact private, and not for hire.

Whatever, you aren't interested.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Heaven is a fairy story" - Stephen Hawking
    ... The electric telegraph took many incremental improvements over many ... decades before a functioning, commercially viable system was ... Kendall K. Down ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: "Heaven is a fairy story" - Stephen Hawking
    ... The electric telegraph took many incremental improvements over many ... decades before a functioning, commercially viable system was ... If you feel that it is *not* a good example of evolution, ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: "Heaven is a fairy story" - Stephen Hawking
    ... The electric telegraph took many incremental improvements over many ... The first is that Samuel Morse took a whole lot of ores and liquids, put them in a bottle and shook them vigorously for several years until a fully functioning telegraph key, plus receiver, plus miles of wire, popped out. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Did this guy needed Samoas help?
    ... of the telegraph, to the invention of the telephone, the internet, ... The English inventor William Sturgeon developed an early electromagnet ... The Morse telegraph. ...
    (soc.culture.colombia)