Re: Safe subset of C?

From: Joona I Palaste (palaste_at_cc.helsinki.fi)
Date: 12/16/03

Date: 16 Dec 2003 20:59:22 GMT

Alex <alex_lord@hotmail.com> scribbled the following:
> Christian Bau <christian.bau@cbau.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <pan.2003.11.25.02.14.52.334345@lightspeed.bc.ca>,
>> Kelsey Bjarnason <kelseyb@lightspeed.bc.ca> wrote:
>>> Having warnings enabled doesn't cripple C; it just lets you know when
>>> you've done something that probably isn't actually C at all. :)

>> If it isn't C at all you would get an error. If you get a warning, it's
>> most likely perfectly legal C that in some non-obvious way does
>> something entirely different from what you intended.

> AFAIK "diagnostics" need only be output from the compiler,
> not specifically as "errors" or "warnings".

So does this:

"ISO says I have to issue a diagnostic here. So to keep them happy I'll
do so."

qualify as a mandatory diagnostic for a case for which the ISO C
standard mandates one?

--
/-- Joona Palaste (palaste@cc.helsinki.fi) ------------- Finland --------\
"To err is human. To really louse things up takes a computer."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: burning DVD failure
    ... Alex, I appreciate your help and information very much. ... I sussessfully burned that iso image with Nero 7 on ... with the script I posted. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Stand alone recovery console?
    ... Burning the ISO to a CD required ... Alex ... Feinman's ISO Recorder available at ... From then on it was a breeze to get Recovery Console running on the ...
  • Re: Wekk numbers and dates