Re: 2 style questions

From: Paul Hsieh (qed_at_pobox.com)
Date: 12/22/03

    Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 07:11:55 GMT

    In article <bs3j8s$2u5$1@news4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>, i@bleat.nospam.com says...
    > 1.
    > I was having a discussion with somebody and I think it's just religious.
    > We are developing some software and he was looking through my code.
    > I use if (pointer) to test a pointer for NULL. He says it must be if
    > (p!=NULL).

    They are identical. The issue is not which one you choose, but rather that it
    matters at all. If either of you have a problem with one method over the other
    then its that person's problem. And its a serious one -- if a person is unable
    to see a trivial equivalence in their mind, then its indicative of an improper
    focus or otherwise very low mental ability.

    One has religious arguments about religion, not technical equivalents. The
    only merit of caring is that leaving off the != NULL has fewer characters, and
    thus occupies less screen space -- but its horizontal screen space which
    rarely matters.

    > The arguments are that it's more readable and that if (p) is not portable.

    "if (p)" is portable, and since it has an equivalent meaning and can't really
    be mistaken to mean something else, it can't be less readable.

    > I said the first is a style issue [...]

    Its a non-issue. They are the same thing. You lose IQ points for every second
    you waste talking to your codeveloper about it. You don't have more important
    issues to talk about?

    > 2.
    > Then I started looking through his code and what I noticed that he very
    > often does things like this:
    >
    > char *func(char **out)
    > {
    > *out = malloc(100);
    > return malloc(10);
    > }
    >
    > This might also be a style issue, but it's a style where it's very easy to
    > introduce bugs (and indeed I found a few)
    > and even more easy to introduce bugs if you don't know the internals of the
    > function. So, what do you think about this style?

    For me, the value of encapsulating blocks of code into functions is for the
    functions to take responsibility for credibly translating input parameters to
    output parameters. If a function, such as this, is essentially perform two
    side-effects, it had better be worth while to do so.

    I would be very suspicious of the code above, because both mallocs are not
    stored in the same structure. Hence this inherently assumes that some higher
    level logic is going to tie those two mallocs together which means that "func"
    is not taking responsibility for tying them together. There are also 3
    possible error conditions (each malloc failing, or both of them failing) all of
    which have to be determined by higher level code. For the same semantics, I
    would rewrite the above as:

        int func (char ** out1, char ** out2) {
            if (out1) *out1 = malloc (100);
            if (out2) *out2 = malloc (10);
            return (out1 == NULL || *out1 != NULL)
                 && (out2 == NULL || *out2 != NULL);
        }

    In this way its more obvious that there are two outputs (since neither
    parameter is decorated as "const") and the return value will tell you whether
    or not there was any failure at all. Also the effect of passing in a NULL
    pointer will have the effect of deactivating that output rather than simply
    leading to undefined behaviour.

    For someone like me, its hard to justify writing a function like the above,
    however. The reason for having two mallocs *must* be because out1 and out2 are
    somehow tied together possibly in the same object. Also if these are really
    "char *"'s why don't you also at least initialize them with '\0's in them?
    Passing around bare mallocs (i.e., where the contents are indeterminant) is
    generally kind of useless.

    --
    Paul Hsieh
    http://www.pobox.com/~qed/

    • Re: Review of my answer
      ... "Christopher Benson-Manica" wrote in message ... > "If the size of the space requested is zero, ... > pointer shall not be used to access an object." ... if the mallocs failed these pointers are NULL, ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: C und C++
      ... Gedanken gemacht hat. ... Pointer, den malloc zurückgibt, passt einfach. ... Regelung nur umschifft wird (malloc ist in C leider kein ... Religion ist eine Beleidigung der Menschenwürde. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • Re: SEGFAULT problem
      ... The program is simplified for reading so rellocs and mallocs checking are removed, the "80" thing is just a placeholder, as you pointed out, the operator precedence caused the SEGFAULT problem, thank you very much for your help. ... Better terminology is pointer to double. ... pointer object. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Linked List Issue
      ... Why is the second argument a double pointer? ... DResult* list = NULL; ... where dresult_newmallocs the structure and initialises all the ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: memset pointer to 0
      ... can I memcpy 'b' to 'a' and be guaranteed that 'a' ... Assuming they're the same type of pointer, I am pretty sure you are, ... http://www.seebs.net/log/ <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures ...
      (comp.lang.c)