"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
"Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:J3F555.JIB@xxxxxxxxx
In article <1154595489_8235@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> "Rod Pemberton"
<do_not_have@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> "Keith Thompson" <kst-u@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Christian Christmann <plfriko@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> > > the ANSI-C 99 standard specifies that the main function
> > > has "int" as return type. However, there are still lots
> > > of people declaring "void" as main return type.
> > >
> > > Did previous ANSI-C standards defined "void" as return type
> > > or is this issue just a lack of C knowledge?
> >
> > It's pure ignorance. No C standard has ever defined main as
> > returning void.
>
> Chris Torek has covered this in the past... 'void main'
> predates all formal C standards except K&R (1979). The links
> below indicate 'void' was for the PCC compiler for 4.1c BSD
> (about 1981).

Read that it is *not* about "void main"...

So, most of your references are about the type void, not about
"void main".

You could search for other slightly later references too. I just
posted the earliest I could find. See also reply to KT.

The point is that the references you posted *don't support your
claim*, which was specifically about "void main", not just "void".

If you want to dig up references that actually do support your claim,
feel free to do so.

You can post all the examples you like of people *using* "void main";
that doesn't demonstrate that those uses are based on anything other
than ignorance. If you can find any references that support your
claim that using "void main" was based on anything other than
ignorance, I'd be interested in seeing them.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@xxxxxxx <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

  • Re: References in C
    ... lcc-win is one pass compiler. ... references since they are not standard C, but the version of lcc I have ... void f ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Fewer convinced
    ... As Angus has claimed that the references in Booker's book "give it ... The obviously pick and choose what papers they produce. ... answer my question which asked you for evidence that the references to ... You are demonstrating your ignorance again, Angus, not to ...
    (uk.environment.conservation)
  • Re: Fewer convinced
    ... As Angus has claimed that the references in Booker's book "give it ... The obviously pick and choose what papers they produce. ... answer my question which asked you for evidence that the references to ... You are demonstrating your ignorance again, Angus, not to mention your ...
    (uk.environment.conservation)
  • Re: Experimental Evidence for Special Relativity
    ... In studying the results of various experiments there are, obviously, ... my question has not displayed too much ignorance regarding ... As is well known, there are numerous theories that can explain any single experiment -- but a valid theory must not be refuted by ANY experiment, and that's much more difficult. ... Modern repetitions of them improve the accuracy to a few parts per million (references in the above link). ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)