Re: Note to fellow newsgroup posters

Mark McIntyre said:

<snip>

[...] rights are earned, not innate,

Wrong. Rights are generally *not* earned. For example, you have the right to
remain silent, whether or not you have done anything to earn it, simply by
virtue of the fact that you are a subject of Her Majesty the Queen.

When we speak of "earning the right to...", we are speaking loosely. What we
actually mean is "earning the privilege".

--
Richard Heathfield

"You *have* the right to remain silent. What
you lack is the capacity." - Shrek

email: normal service will be restored as soon as possible. Please do not
adjust your email clients.

  • Re: Soccer (football) and hatred
    ... Unless thay are total boors. ... But one needn't constantly assert and exercise those rights... ... they also have a right to remain silent. ... but about the rights of the minority. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Obamas Comments Legally Taint Sex Assault Cases
    ... he hadn't be read his rights. ... What's even more troubling is that apparently asserting the right to ... remain silent by actually, you know, being silent isn't good enough. ... beginning doesn't somehow rob you of the right to silence later. ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Obamas Comments Legally Taint Sex Assault Cases
    ... We provide criminal defendants with more ... inform themselves about their own rights and responsibilities. ... You have the right to remain silent. ... Supreme Court Rules That Pre-Miranda Silence Can Be Used In Court ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Obamas Comments Legally Taint Sex Assault Cases
    ... We provide criminal defendants with more ... inform themselves about their own rights and responsibilities. ... You have the right to remain silent. ... Supreme Court Rules That Pre-Miranda Silence Can Be Used In Court ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Obamas Comments Legally Taint Sex Assault Cases
    ... I've felt that way about the Miranda rule for years, ... We provide criminal defendants with more rights and ... >rights and responsibilities. ... You have the right to remain silent. ...
    (rec.arts.tv)