Re: Real-time developers/designers: Can abort() be used to fail-fast in a safety-critical system?
- From: Seebs <usenet-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 17 Dec 2010 21:23:47 GMT
On 2010-12-17, ?? Tiib <ootiib@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 17, 10:16?pm, Seebs <usenet-nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was thinking about this, and I've concluded that the answer is
almost certainly "yes". ?If you read carefully, you will note that his
question is not "Can abort() be reasonably and successfully used
to fail-fast in a safety-critical system without violating requirements
Correct answer is "uncertain". Question is about possibility to
convince him that the technique can be used to fail fast. If someone
can be convinced in something or not is uncertain unless proven
I would say that, given a bit of research into psychology, and the fact
that he's asking the question, we can be reasonably confident that *someone*
could convince him.
People have said to him that it can be used and has been used several
times. He is still not convinced but displays interest in it so it is
still uncertain. Your opinion displays (a surprising trait in usenet)
that you haven't perhaps meet enough such people who are *hard* to
Oh, I've met people who are hard to convince. But after all, when people
ask a yes or no question, they usually want the answer you think most likely,
not only answers which you are sure you can fully prove.
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.seebs.net/log/ <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology) <-- get educated!
I am not speaking for my employer, although they do rent some of my opinions.
- Prev by Date: Re: A basic (?) problem with addresses (gcc)
- Next by Date: Question about classic stuff - calloc() and memset()
- Previous by thread: Re: Real-time developers/designers: Can abort() be used to fail-fast in a safety-critical system?
- Next by thread: Re: Real-time developers/designers: Can abort() be used to fail-fast in a safety-critical system?