Re: Integer Overflow

jacob navia <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Le 29/12/10 15:34, christian.bau a écrit :
[...]
What _precisely_ is the semantics of the "_overflow" function?

It returns 1 if the last operation overflowed, zero if not.
Concerned operations: signed +,-,*, and /.

What about shift operators? ++? --? Conversions? Array indexing?
Pointer arithmetic? What about division by 0? What *exactly*
does "the last operation" mean?

[...]
What bothers me is that you seem so upset that I offer a SOLUTION
instead of just allowing UB. Maybe you can offer a BETTER solution?

I am all ears.

Nobody is upset with you for offering a solution. We are offering
criticisms of the solution you're offering. If you don't want
criticism, I suggest not posting here. (That last was not meant
seriously; what I actually suggest is that you post here *and*
accept criticism.)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@xxxxxxx <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Nokia

  • Re: Technology religious wars Re: whence the "religious" garbage?
    ... There was criticism of Kelvin's proof of the limited age of ... Presumably you classify all that as religious ... A point I am offering as a reductio. ... offering any evidence therefor--something close to "people who disagree ...
    (soc.history.medieval)
  • Re: Converting Scalar Samples to Complex
    ... scalar data to a stream of complex data in such a way that Zero ... frequency in the old spectrum remains Zero frequency in the new ... You do not give criticism of answers, ... DSP Guru ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: Had an offer on my phone
    ... The sender has a feedback of zero, ... >>offering top money via a postal order. ...
    (uk.telecom.mobile)
  • Re: Had an offer on my phone
    ... The sender has a feedback of zero, ... >offering top money via a postal order. ... (£200 for a second hand 7610). ...
    (uk.telecom.mobile)
  • Re: Technology religious wars Re: whence the "religious" garbage?
    ... There was criticism of Kelvin's proof of the limited age of ... Presumably you classify all that as religious ... Hang on - you are claiming that criticism of Ptolemaic astronomy was on ... A point I am offering as a reductio. ...
    (soc.history.medieval)