Re: Cannot find source of undefined identifier

From: Dave (better_cs_now_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/30/04

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:45:48 -0700

"John Harrison" <john_andronicus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c4cicd$2hbh28$1@ID-196037.news.uni-berlin.de...

> "John Carson" <donaldquixote@datafast.net.au> wrote in message
> > "Dave" <better_cs_now@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Actually, I get the error on VC++ 7.1 (that is my platform). And I
> > > had noted it on Comeau as well...
> >
> > Compiles fine for me on VC++7.1.
> >

> Compiles if you have Disable Language Extensions turned off, not if you
have
> it turned on.
>
> I also have no real idea of the cause, something to do with the lookup of
> dependent names I guess. I know this stuff is real tricky and I try not to
> think about it too much.
>
> Incidentally changing
>
> while (!is_goal(current_state))

> while (!GOAL_TEST_T::is_goal(current_state))
>

> also gets it to compile
>

> john

Ahhh yes, the "disable language extensions" feature is indeed the reason I
can't compile on VC++ 7.1 when others can. In any case, taking your
suggestion of qualifying the call to is_goal() may be the simplest
standard-complying way of getting around this problem... Although, for the
sake of curiosity and knowledge, I would be curious to know why the name
lookup fails without the qualification if anybody out there knows...