C going to C++

From: Kevin Torr (kevintorr_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/04/04

Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:16:35 +1000

I've been using C for some time now and I would like to take my first leap
into C++. I should warn you that I have little or no experience with visual
C++, though I do have some experience with different OOP languages.

I am using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.

I would like to create a very simple program to begin with:

A dialog box, say 320x240 in size, with file->exit and help->about menus.
Inside the box will be an input field where you type in your number, and a
button that says 'Go'.
Under that will be another text field which will give you 2* what you typed
previously if it's a number, otherwise it pops up with an error box saying
"Please enter only integers and decimals into the box".

So this is what I have done so far:
Created a new "Win32 application" project called "thetest".
I then create a new "C++ Source File" called "thesource" and add it to the
workspace "thetest".
I go up to 'insert -> resource -> menu' and create the menu
I save the resource as 'menu.rc' and 'menu.rc' to the 'Resource Files'
folder in the 'File View'

This is about as far as I can get without a tutorial or instructions to get
me further.
I'm not sure how to access the resources I have included to the project from
the C++ source file.

If someone could followup with either instructions or a URL that can run me
through this step-by-step, it would be very handy. Thanks.

Also, How do I remove files/resources from my workspace? There is no
'delete' item in the right-click menu!

Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • C going to C++
    ... Created a new "Win32 application" project called "thetest". ... I save the resource as 'menu.rc' and 'menu.rc' to the 'Resource Files' ... This is about as far as I can get without a tutorial or instructions to get ... How do I remove files/resources from my workspace? ...
    (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
  • Re: MSDTC on Windows Server 2003 - Cluster
    ... it is enough to follow the instructions in the KB article you ... containing the quorum resource) or in the group that contains other program ... Microsoft Cluster Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Atracting attention to a link
    ... 'here', a word that merely fails to describe the resource, to 'View the ... you could offer a PDF ... These instructions violate the principle Don't Mention The Mechanics. ... mentioning the mechanics. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: How do I get tasks spread out?
    ... Without any instructions from you, how can it possibly assume which of the ... and also in the Resource Usage and Resource Graph Views. ... MSP will delay tasks until the over-allocation disappears. ... But for the tasks within the group-task, ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: XP Themes on Forms
    ... I think the problem was that my app didn't have a Version resource. ... one, followed the instructions, and it worked. ... > Copy the manifest file and change the name to whatever you want. ... >> Anything else you can think of, from the error message? ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)