Re: The future of C++

From: David Eng (davideng2004_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/21/04


Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:48:29 +0000 (UTC)


Thomas Richter <thor@cleopatra.math.tu-berlin.de> wrote in message news:<c607kn$q19$2@mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>...
> I also feel that CORBA does its job possibly only half the way it could.
> For example, it nicely runs new threads for me serving my objects, but
> at the same time it doesn't provide necessary services for keeping
> object states consistent amongst the threads - there are no "mutex"
> specifications in CORBA.

I blame this for C++. The thread mode should be built into C++
instead of CORBA. I still cannot understand why C++ doesn't have a
standard thread library. We are moving to grid computing, yet C++
committee doesn't think it is important to standardize a thread
library. The another area bothers me is database access layer. All
these database vendors promote JDBC because there is no a standard C++
access library. If these vendors stop to support their proprietary
C++ API, who will use C++ in a distributed environment? I never head
C++ committee even has an initiative to standardize a database access
layer library. No matter how great C++ is, without a standard thread
and data access libraries, C++ will have a hard time to survive in a
distributed computing. Just to imagine how C++ can survive in a
system computing without an I/O library! If the committee thinks
proprietary libraries can do the job, I am sure that C++ will not be a
mainstream programming language; it will downgrade to a third class
language doing some limited applications.

      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ]

[ comp.std.c++ is moderated. To submit articles, try just posting with ]
[ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std-c++@ncar.ucar.edu ]
[ --- Please see the FAQ before posting. --- ]
[ FAQ: http://www.jamesd.demon.co.uk/csc/faq.html ]



Relevant Pages

  • Re: C89, size_t, and long
    ... libraries which have useful stuff). ... So because others here can't think of a good reason to use long instead of size_t and you can't prove there is never such a reason, we must all assume there could be a good reason to not use the mechanisms provided by the standard to deal with a problem? ... If you are claiming there is a reason to avoid the mechanisms the standard provides to allow portability then it is up to *you* to prove your point, not up to others to disprove it. ... but you can hardly blame the consequences on the Standard headers. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: C89, size_t, and long
    ... libraries which have useful stuff). ... So because others here can't think of a good reason to use long instead of size_t and you can't prove there is never such a reason, we must all assume there could be a good reason to not use the mechanisms provided by the standard to deal with a problem? ... want to have standard headers included in their own headers which ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Any Clojure users here?
    ... ABCL and I've been contributing to it for a while (though since some ... from the CL standard or from the Java API, ... You can use CFFI-based libraries in ABCL without ... Yes, but without a Clojure standard, it's hard to know what the "core" ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: comparing doubles for equality
    ... AFAIK there is no ANSI/ISO standard for it. ... Fortran 95 seem to have some built-in operators but it's not clear ... LIA,GIA,ICE libraries for interval methods in C++ from Delisoft ... Actually I've been for quite some months proposing getting together ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
    ... "that's not in the standard, ... rewrites of the compiler. ... PH> They got all the compiler vendors to agree to a common ... or graphics libraries or threading libraries, ...
    (comp.lang.c)