Re: Exportable class functions as stand alone functions to .DLL or .SO

From: Jeff Schwab (jeffplus_at_comcast.net)
Date: 05/19/04

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:24:26 -0400

Timothy Wong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is my situation...please tell me if this is possible:
>
> 1) An existing application loads a DLL or SO and is looking for a
> function (e.g. - getName(void))
>
> 2) Prior DLL's that were created in a procedural fashion and just
> created a global function.
>
> 3) Now I want to create a class to encapsulate this function and
> create a DLL or SO
>
> My question ... is it possible to compile a DLL in this way and
> have the old application be able to load getName with out any notion
> of loading/instatiating a class? The dilemna here is that the
> application cannot be modified (no source code).

You could use a "bridge" module to implement the old interface using the
new. That is, use the same header file that was included when the
original application was compiled. Replace the implementation file with
one implementing the global functions by simply wrapping your new,
class-based implementation, possibly in a different dll|so.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Execution detail of Asp.net
    ... page in another temp dir. ... then loads them. ... > compiles the page to a dll in a temp dir, and loads the page (again a ...
  • understanding files
    ... I have some questions about some exe, dll, and other ... It's called upon from the registry key ... what do these execuables do and are they necessary? ... \config.nt loads it ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • seLinux: how do I avoid this error
    ... I am writing an application for fedora cora 5 that loads a DLL. ... seLinux is enabled, I get the following error from the attempt to load ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: ok ... so...
    ... when you first hit an asp.net site, loads a new appdomain, then loads the ... asp.net dll for that page. ... > I have about 5 user controls which build up the page. ...
  • Re: Assembly loaded twice when Assembly.LoadFrom() is used
    ... resource, and when it's needed for calling entrypoints, it loads it as an ... The result is that the DLL has two occurrences in the ... > Looking at the HTTP requests that are made, ... > that the assembly is requested twice from the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.remoting)