[OT] Java, C#: why no multiple inheritance?

From: crichmon (crichmon23_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/09/04

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:14:58 GMT

Hi,

The main language that I progam in is C++. I have been studying and
experimenting with Java and C# and I'm somewhat curious as to why those
languages don't allow multiple inheritance? I am aware that they do allow
classes to implement multiple Interfaces in addition to the optional single
inheritance from another class, but I'm concerned at the fact that
Interfaces don't allow for data members, just member functions. Is the
inheritance thing to prevent code bloat and/or preserve some ideal of
object-oriented design? I have typically found that multiple inheritance in
C++ can be very advantageous, and I'm concerned as to how I might have to
re-design my objects if I ever convert C++ code to C# or Java. Any info out
there?

thanks,
crichmon

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why do some people hate java?
    ... Outdated computers are the real test for any os/programming language. ... Java is seen by many people as a toy programming ... I think most agree that multiple inheritance and explicit deallocation ... comes to a language like Java. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: [OT] Java, C#: why no multiple inheritance?
    ... crichmon wrote: ... > languages don't allow multiple inheritance? ... transparency like Java, ... Enjoy a language that supports it. ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Multiple Inheritance
    ... Java has multiple inheritance. ... This is due to the original ideas from a language called Smalltalk and then being propagated along by marketers and/or Java language designers ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Comparing Lisp conditions to Java Exceptions
    ... All the ISO standards in the world will not make the world ... Nothing keeps you from annotating your program with exceptions based on what ... language should adhere to your theory. ... Curiously, although you don't say it, Java has the opposite problem. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: casts
    ... This is why most shit programmers refuse to learn languages including ... C Sharp and Java. ... compiler in a later edition of Visual Basic, ... language for processing data. ...
    (comp.lang.c)