Re: OT: gcc speed

From: Mateusz Łoskot (antispam_at_see.my.signature)
Date: 08/10/04

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:42:11 GMT

On 8/10/2004 3:13 PM, Gernot Frisch wrote:
> I have a project developed with eVC++ 4 and then compiled it with a
> cross compiler, which makes the thing run about 20% slower. Now, the
> GCC usually is way better than the MS compilers, but I don't know
> why/how it's slower.

I haven't run gcc for Pocket PC compilations.
I run Intel C++ Compiler and unlike Intel is writting
on the Web Site, I did not experience any more speed of my
programs. May be I did't use all optimizations of Intel C++ Comp.

I noticed that Intel produces about 10% bigger exe file.

Test your programs with Intel C++ Compiler (it integrates with
eVC++), it is available for 30 days evaluation period.

Greets

--
Mateusz Łoskot
mateusz at loskot dot net

Relevant Pages

  • Call for Participation: CGO-5, 11-14 March 2007 - San Jose, California / Online Regist
    ... Programming a Massively Parallel Processor" ... Workshop on EPIC Architectures and Compiler Technology ... Code Generation and Optimization for Transactional Memory Constructs ... Cheng Wang (Intel Corporation), Wei-Yu Chen ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: AMD users READ this......
    ... where someone advises someone to stay away from AMD and Via because, ... Intel processors, I think that this post and link is completely appropriate, ... Of course this is directed at programmers who use the illegal Intel compiler ... "Many software developers think that the compiler is compatible with AMD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Question about intel_VEC_memcpy
    ... Syntax such as array assignment and matmul() is highly productive of temporaries, some of which could be avoided by better optimization in the compiler. ... If you are willing to work with a current version of ifort, and to submit a case to Intel support, there is likely to be scope for improvement. ... a compiler can't avoid the allocation of a temporary array for the intermediate result. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: censored by comp.compilers [was please suggest an OS and language a text]
    ... z/OS has way more hardware capability than Intel ... Linux has basically no doc except what people feel ... than simple file I/O to write a compiler, ...
    (comp.lang.misc)
  • Re: New Visual Fortran Product Survey
    ... I assume that MS authorized DEC to use the name, and that that authorization transferred to Compaq/HP and then to Intel when the compiler/components/rights were successively purchased by those companies. ... HP does own and retain the rights to DEC/Compaq Visual Fortran, and their disuse of it does not give anyone else a right to use it. ... I believe the wording which says the product is only for Windows X64 EM64T and AMD64, for which only a minority of the vendors mentioned above have a product. ... I would expect most of the above vendors to produce such a compiler for whatever architecture becomes predominant, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)