flexibility of operator new

From: Glen Able (smDELETEecklers_at_hotmTHISail.com)
Date: 09/13/04

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:32:15 +0100

I'd like to use a few different memory arenas in my current application and
to be able to specify for each allocation where it comes from. Is there any
way I can make operator new take another argument to specify which arena an
object gets allocated from. Or fake it?

e.g. I'd like to be able to write something like this:

A* myA = new_bigheap A;
A* otherA = new_fastheap A;

Relevant Pages

  • Re: flexibility of operator new
    ... > I'd like to use a few different memory arenas in my current application and ... > to be able to specify for each allocation where it comes from. ... where 'bigheap' and 'fastheap' are different constants of, say, two ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Sweeney presentation "The Next Mainstream Language"
    ... Specify int to be more specific than real. ... possibly helped by programmer annotations or checks. ... test just before the access to make the compiler see that the index is ... he included compiler-checked manual region allocation in Cyclone. ...
    (comp.lang.functional)
  • Re: SMS question
    ... Data Class gets you DSCB attributes, but once the DSN is allocated, ... each allocation time after the initial creation of the dataset. ... If the job that received the message has JCL DD statements which specify ... the dataclass is referenced after the data set has been created. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: How to RLSE on multi-volume data set
    ... Partial Space Release will release unused space with a sequential file at dfHSM Primary Space Management time. ... Is it possible to specify something so that it would free ALL unused space? ... of course you can allocate a smaller space at initial allocation and let the data set dynamically allocate to additional volumes; but if you do this there is also no guarantee that the space will actually be available on some candidate volume when you need it. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: multi-volume SMS file allocation
    ... Specify a VOLSER list if you want the chunks in a particular volume order. ... This will allocate the primary extent requested on each of five volumes. ... When you write to it sequentially the five primary extents will fill before taking secondary extents on the fifth volume. ... That would work, all right, for the purpose of using max size allocation on each volume, when needed. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)