Simple UNICODE question

From: Roger Thornhill (kellyvista7_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/09/04

Date: 9 Nov 2004 13:55:35 -0800

Hi -

I have a question that I am sure is a basic UNICODE question for
anyone out there with UNICODE experience.

I simply would like to see a non-Latin unicode character printed to my
console.

To do that, I have been attempting to:

(a) wcout << (wchar_t)38 << endl; // should print a semicolon
(latin)

and

(b) wcout << (wchar_t)297 << endl; // should print the copyright
symbol (latin supplemental)

or

(c) wcout << (wchar_t)8240 << endl; // should print the permil symbol

I have gotten (a) to work. (b) and (c) do not and I would be
interested to know why. I am assuming that I should also be able to
print out a kanji character or hangul (Korean) character, for example.

I've tried using different console fonts. I am wondering if I need to
setlocale().

Thanks...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Simple UNICODE question
    ... > anyone out there with UNICODE experience. ... > print out a kanji character or hangul character, ... I think that the terminal implementation in Linux does not allow Unicode ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Simple UNICODE question
    ... > anyone out there with UNICODE experience. ... > print out a kanji character or hangul character, ... > I've tried using different console fonts. ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: VB - Ascii to Unicode and then Unicode to UTF-8 conversion (Very desperate!!)
    ... Latin together) then you have to use a Unicode column type. ... AscW returns the real Unicode character ... for Chinese characters, ... then the next thing to worry about is your CSV file. ...
  • Re: Unicode Support
    ... if two Unicode strings are the same? ... UTF-16 is basically telling everyone "ok we all got to start ... character, and will likely support *both* endians. ... UTF-8 encodings are also easy to learn to ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: KANJD212
    ... >>Who decides the factors and what are their criteria, Unicode? ... But once a character is defined/get a codepoint in Unicode it ... standard modifies the codepoint of the kanji to a totally new ... I can use a code like JIS X0208 along with a font ...
    (sci.lang.japan)