Re: Simple UNICODE question

From: ARatio (aratio_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/10/04

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:54:35 -0400

Hi Roger:

"Roger Thornhill" <kellyvista7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:675ed5c0.0411091355.f7102bc@posting.google.com...
> Hi -
>
> I have a question that I am sure is a basic UNICODE question for
> anyone out there with UNICODE experience.
>
> I simply would like to see a non-Latin unicode character printed to my
> console.
>
> To do that, I have been attempting to:
>
> (a) wcout << (wchar_t)38 << endl; // should print a semicolon
> (latin)
>
> and
>
> (b) wcout << (wchar_t)297 << endl; // should print the copyright
> symbol (latin supplemental)
>
> or
>
> (c) wcout << (wchar_t)8240 << endl; // should print the permil symbol
>
> I have gotten (a) to work. (b) and (c) do not and I would be
> interested to know why. I am assuming that I should also be able to
> print out a kanji character or hangul (Korean) character, for example.

I wrote something like your code and it worked fine in Windows XP:

wchar_t msg[100];
wprintf(L"La cigüeña come ñandúes %s\n", msg);

But when I ported that code to Linux, the console just showed:

La cig

I think that the terminal implementation in Linux does not allow Unicode
characters, but I cannot ensure it.

Best regards

Ernesto

> I've tried using different console fonts. I am wondering if I need to
> setlocale().
>
> Thanks...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VB - Ascii to Unicode and then Unicode to UTF-8 conversion (Very desperate!!)
    ... Latin together) then you have to use a Unicode column type. ... AscW returns the real Unicode character ... for Chinese characters, ... then the next thing to worry about is your CSV file. ...
  • Re: Unicode Support
    ... if two Unicode strings are the same? ... UTF-16 is basically telling everyone "ok we all got to start ... character, and will likely support *both* endians. ... UTF-8 encodings are also easy to learn to ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: KANJD212
    ... >>Who decides the factors and what are their criteria, Unicode? ... But once a character is defined/get a codepoint in Unicode it ... standard modifies the codepoint of the kanji to a totally new ... I can use a code like JIS X0208 along with a font ...
    (sci.lang.japan)
  • Re: Determining if a string is Unicode
    ... there's nothing magic about Unicode. ... where each character occupies 2 bytes, as opposed to a Single-Byte Character ... You could load up a string with rubbish, ... > INF file like so: ...
  • Re: Enhanced Unicode support for "Go" tools
    ... the point to remember is that UNICODE is a _character ... It's the fonts, the OS and the application which work together ... society for the protection of French from English ...
    (alt.lang.asm)