Operator Overloading

From: James Angi (jamesangi_at_cox.net)
Date: 02/23/05

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:42:50 -0500

I have a question on operator overloading that I can't find an answer to in
several guides (even google has failed me).

I'm currently making my way through several C++ guides, trying to become
familiar with the language's features. The book I'm in the middle of right
now says an operator+ function cannot be const. For example, it seems to

class String {
    String operator+(const String&) const;

is invalid... yet it compiles, works fine, and while I realize that this
does not mean it is 'correct', I can't think of a reason why an operator+
method could not be declared const.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Operator Overloading
    ... > several guides (even google has failed me). ... > now says an operator+ function cannot be const. ...
  • Re: Google Search
    ... Quick Source Guides are clear, concise, user-friendly ... cuts and tips on how to use many popular software ... using a Google search. ... >Most instructions given by MVPs are over my head. ...
  • Re: Sources for car spraying guides
    ... I was wondering if anyone knew of any guides for car painting (panels, ... Been flicking through google ... Any links to guides and online resources would be much appreciated. ...
  • Re: fc4->fc5 upgrade
    ... looking to jump from fc4->fc5 i've seen different guides from google.. ... yum upgrade from fc4->fc5 ... ...the Sin of Stupidity. ...
  • Re: Who supports Clay?
    ... Clear you browser cache and look again. ... Unless you're following a cached Google link or looking through an archived copy they're still down. ... The links to individual repair guides have been removed from the main page. ... If you follow a link like http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/index1.htm from Google it gives you the login page. ...