Re: Classic RW

From: Robert Wagner (robert_at_wagner.net.yourmammaharvests)
Date: 09/01/04

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:38:57 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:07:54 -0500, "William M. Klein"
<wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

>"In computing, a fixed-point number representation is a real data type for a
>number that has a fixed number of digits after the decimal (or binary or
>hexadecimal) point. For example, a fixed-point number with 4 digits after the
>decimal point could be used to store numbers such as 1.3467, 281243.3234 and
>0.1000, but would round 1.0301789 to 1.0302 and 0.0000654 to 0.0001."

 How do you indicate a decimal point in a register? How do you
represent one in memory? Except for floating-point, computer
instructions don't know about decimal points; they operate on
integers.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why not FP for Money?
    ... > session, the results were correct since I had earlier issued (after ... you are correct saying that my confidence in the Decimal type ... What we'd _really_ want to specify is 'keep exactly two digits AFTER the ... fixed-point one. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: bits required for decimal values
    ... >> the number from decimal to binary base fixed-point representation. ... >> represented with N digits in base 2 with fixed-point notation? ... if x has a finite representation, or as you say below, whether x is ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: simple regexp question
    ... quotes and working from there, ... there can be digits in the identifier before the trailing digits ... that you want to extract ... or a fixed-point number that starts ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Rounding a floating point number
    ... double roundto(double x, int digits) ... if (digits> DBL_DIG) ... rounding the value 1.2345 to 2 decimal ... What is the purpose of rounding a floating-point value to N decimal ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Interesting math
    ... "C Float Number" must have "exactly six digits after the ... The "six or more significant digits" requirement has little ... data type called "float" that can represent floating-point ... articles, or your posts? ...
    (alt.usage.english)