Plotting a pixel in fujitu cobol

From: Peter M (floatingcloud1_at_webtv.net)
Date: 09/09/04

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:22:43 -0400

I am new to the group. I have a question about image bitmap in fujitsu
cobol student addition. In Futijsu powerCobol if you make a image as an
object and identify it as a resource I assume it loads into memory of
the exe program. Correct? If so how do you aquire that area of memory
as a variable array in the program and write to it? What I am seeking
to acomplish is to plot a pixel on the screen for graphics purposes. I
understand COBOL but not C++ . Am I wasting my time trying to do this
in COBOL or should I learn C++ and make my own plot command for the
COBOL program. I know the image is in memory and Know COBOL. Can it
be done?

What I know is I have an ADDR function to find the address but doesn't
seem to write to memory with MOVE statement. I wish to aquire the
bitmap as an array something like:

01 THE-SCREEN.
     05 LINE OCCURS 1024 TIMES.
             10 ROW OCCURS 768 TIMES.
                        15 COLORBYTE PIC (? COMP-5.

Any information would be helpful ?Thank You.

Peter.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Tracking writes to a global section.
    ... no modifications in the code that writes to the common area. ... This code is in C and CALL'ed from the COBOL application. ... I'm not so sure that COBOL is cognizant that the memory you ... accesses to this global section? ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: OT Science versus religion: Is compromise impossible?
    ... > Let's suppose the Cobol Standard was the US Constitution. ... > Daemons = privateers ... > Programmers, fearing a despotic Cobol, insist on a Second Amendment ... > reading 'Unfettered memory access being essential to programming, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Dynamic memory in standard COBOL; using large data fields
    ... If, however, your COBOL program *will* run in an online environment ... >>>not support the notion of dynamic memory. ... >>>large chunk of memory that it only uses a fraction of normally. ... >>>glue between a Java server and something else. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Dynamic memory in standard COBOL; using large data fields
    ... As has been pointed out by others, if you place the "allocated" storage routines ... COBOL compilers work in environments where there ... > not support the notion of dynamic memory. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: MVS - Cobol-Java Out of Memory Issue
    ... > We are trying to run a batch Cobol program which calls a Java code ... > the JVM ran out of memory problems after processing 1200 records. ... > NewStringPlatform JNI call used in Cobol to convert a Cobol string to a ... > Java string. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)