Re: Cobol Editor For Windows

From: Robert Wagner (robert_at_wagner.net.yourmammaharvests)
Date: 09/09/04

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:34:42 GMT

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:07:35 -0400, Joe Zitzelberger
<joe_zitzelberger@nospam.com> wrote:

>With all of the talk about editors lately, I was wondering who has
>really nice stand-alone Cobol editors. Is there something for Windows
>that offers Cobol syntax highlighting, ftp open/save, copybook
>awareness, etc that makes editing Cobol source a pleasure?
>
>I sometimes use StarBases CodeWright instead of ISPF Edit. Both are
>fine, but not great.
>
>Anyone have some great editor suggestions?

Ultra Edit has FTP, global search, hex editing, can edit files >1G in
size. It comes configured with syntax highlighting for other languages
but not Cobol. With a little work, you could probably make it
understand Cobol (then post the config file here). It was named best
editor for 2004 by PC Magazine.

It is now commercial ($35, free trial). The freeware version can still
be found on the Web.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: working storage values
    ... "implicit" modifications to COBOL data items. ... This started task has a loadlib with user written cobol ... Of course search is available in every text editor. ... archaicisms, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: RDz (was: Re: editting & testing COBOL code)
    ... Subject: RDz (was: Re: editting & testing COBOL code) ... I'm unfamiliar with RDz. ... Does the editor run on the PC? ... message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: editor with syntax highlighting
    ... ProgrammerStudio has a competent COBOL sensitive editor. ... > 2) As you key over items, their color changes. ... > perhaps a better COBOL definition file for vim? ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Mainframe News
    ... the ISPF editor is already 'COBOL aware'. ... You can also use just about any PC editor to seamlessly edit mainframe files; e.g. select a COBOL program from a member list and it instantly opens on a PC/workstation using a favorite workstation editor. ... When a member name appears inside another member (such as when a COBOL program calls another program or imbeds a copybook), the called program or copybook can be browsed or edited by entering a command on the command line and pointing the cursor at the called program or copybook name. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Cobol Editor For Windows
    ... > really nice stand-alone Cobol editors. ... > that offers Cobol syntax highlighting, ftp open/save, copybook ... I have used TSE, The Semware Editor, www.semware.com. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)