Re: Cobol Editor For Windows

From: Robert Wagner (
Date: 09/09/04

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:34:42 GMT

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:07:35 -0400, Joe Zitzelberger
<> wrote:

>With all of the talk about editors lately, I was wondering who has
>really nice stand-alone Cobol editors. Is there something for Windows
>that offers Cobol syntax highlighting, ftp open/save, copybook
>awareness, etc that makes editing Cobol source a pleasure?
>I sometimes use StarBases CodeWright instead of ISPF Edit. Both are
>fine, but not great.
>Anyone have some great editor suggestions?

Ultra Edit has FTP, global search, hex editing, can edit files >1G in
size. It comes configured with syntax highlighting for other languages
but not Cobol. With a little work, you could probably make it
understand Cobol (then post the config file here). It was named best
editor for 2004 by PC Magazine.

It is now commercial ($35, free trial). The freeware version can still
be found on the Web.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: working storage values
    ... "implicit" modifications to COBOL data items. ... This started task has a loadlib with user written cobol ... Of course search is available in every text editor. ... archaicisms, ...
  • Re: RDz (was: Re: editting & testing COBOL code)
    ... Subject: RDz (was: Re: editting & testing COBOL code) ... I'm unfamiliar with RDz. ... Does the editor run on the PC? ... message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the ...
  • Re: editor with syntax highlighting
    ... ProgrammerStudio has a competent COBOL sensitive editor. ... > 2) As you key over items, their color changes. ... > perhaps a better COBOL definition file for vim? ...
  • Re: Mainframe News
    ... the ISPF editor is already 'COBOL aware'. ... You can also use just about any PC editor to seamlessly edit mainframe files; e.g. select a COBOL program from a member list and it instantly opens on a PC/workstation using a favorite workstation editor. ... When a member name appears inside another member (such as when a COBOL program calls another program or imbeds a copybook), the called program or copybook can be browsed or edited by entering a command on the command line and pointing the cursor at the called program or copybook name. ...
  • Re: Cobol Editor For Windows
    ... > really nice stand-alone Cobol editors. ... > that offers Cobol syntax highlighting, ftp open/save, copybook ... I have used TSE, The Semware Editor, ...